Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

nervous about new job

Status
Not open for further replies.

wattsamp

MIS
May 11, 2004
US

I just got a new position with a company as a systems analyst. My duties will be to maintain windows 2000 2003 server and a lot of asp.net coding. I'm not worried about the systems part because thats my strong point windows 2000 active directory and systems administration. I've been working around that area for 4 years. I'm worried about the development part I told them during the interview that I was not a strong coder. Can some here recommend a asp.net book thats aimed at beginners. I need something that can explain and take me step by step I do not need a look of technical jargon that does not brak thing done for someone thats just starting out.

you dont state whether you are familiar with c# or vb, so i'll go for a book that does both. I find programming asp.net by oreilly the best of the basic books i have, but it doesnt have all the answers (but when ever does 1 book ?)

hth,

K

Don't be nervous and don't be worried. Nobody pay's enough to get an ulcer. You told the truth at the interview.
Marty

ASP.NET Unleashed by Stephan Walther - The basic building blocks with most of the nuts and bolts thrown in for good measure. Make sure you get the latest (2nd I think) edition. Congrats BTW.

I like ASP.Net Steb by Step (Duthie). Comes in c# and VB. Really easy to read and starts at the beginning. Definitely not a comprehensive guild

I bought all the books, etc, and the first thing I figured out was that professional ASP.NET was an extremely complicated venture. I ended up taking a course in Advanced ASP.NEt, which I am now finishing this week. The professor stated that the real aim of the course was to teach you how to understand what you reading in all these books. Well, three months later, he was right, I finally "get it" to the point I think I can now venture into doing this professionally. I've been programming since 1988 so this is no Newbie talking: Take a night course, become a fanatic, work through the books, all at the same time. In 16 weeks you can become a novice.

SAMS Teach Yourself ASP.NET in 24 Hours

It's by no means comprehensive, but it's exactly what you need to get up and running with the technologies you're using (fast). Kalini's certification text is amazingly informative, though it takes a considerable amount of time to slog through the ~1200 pages.

I poured through several of the books as soon as they came out. Fun and informative reading as long as you are not sitting anywhere comfortable as they apparently impregnate the ink with AMBIEN or some other equivelent sleep aid. I found that I am the type of person that likes to play with things as I learn them so the most informative book for me was the Programmers Cookbook By Matthew McDonald. It contained lots of code that acutally works!! I like to look at the code when I am learning as I can also then, Learn some of the Best practice type of things that many "Facts only" type of books do not really give you a feel for.

Also the Projects were, for the most part, independant of each other.

I like that feature because all too often when I am trying to work through a book I hit a project that the details are a bit fuzzy to me and I cannot get the code to work. This means I am sunk through the next three chapters because they all refer to the project before them and ultimately to the broken code from the project I was stumped on.

BTW I am not affiliated yadda yadda yadda

HTH

Bassguy

Thanks for the tip, bassguy, I'll pick up a copy of that. I've been going through one called "ASP.NET At Work" that is supposed to be a real world example thing, but I am so disgusted with it I'm going to throw it in the fireplace. The guy's code is poorly explained and often unintelligle, utterly uncommented, and is full of cutsy programming tricks instead of straight forward nuts and bolts how-to information. I've gotten a couple of good things from it, but the amount of time involved trying to figure out what the guy's doing isn't worth it. Don't buy that one.

I find that a good book for starting out with ASP.NET is Beginning ASP.NET 1.1 with C# (Wrox Press). It doesn't assume you already have 6 months experience with the technology and doesn't treat you as a dummie. I like it because it not only gives you a good foundation for ASP.NET and ADO.NET but a good foundation in the language and touches on OOP concepts. You can buy the VB.NET version as well. After you finish that book I would then go to the ASP.NET unleashed 2nd edition by Steve Walther. I don't consider this a beginner's book by any means. What I like about it is that it presents you with approaches to real world applications and presents helluva a lot of code samples. Also very good for learning the IE Web controls and programming for mobile devices. At the end everything is summed up in a real world online store app. Plus the book at 1300 pages can be used to slap someone upside the head if they ask you a dumb question...just kidding.

this site is great for learning .NET. Bronze membership gets you some free videos and the gold gets you them all. it is dirt cheap so i recommend the gold. The videos are great, they range from 5-30 min and hit the nail on the head on a wide range of topics.

Hi,

Here's my two cents

I agree that the Wrox Publications are by far the superior books, despite your level of comprehension. Just make sure that you get the one that suits your level of experience and comprehension. Personally, I picked up "Professional ASP.NET 1.0" and found that it was very thorough in its teachings. They also have a Beginning ASP.NET (with C# or VB.NET) that may be better suited towards your needs.

Keith

Veep - Walther's book is now in the 2d Edition, and it is my favorite - excellent reference.

Thanks for all the replys guys they are sending me to asp.net training for 2 weeks. After that I will go to the store and look at all the books you gys suggested.

One more note Watt --

No worries. We're here to help -- and these guys here at Tek-Tips are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back