Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Neighborhood Hot Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStrittmatter

Technical User
Apr 4, 2002
US
I have a neighbor with a unsecure wireless router. I can get on the net using his connection. What if any legal ramifications are there for doing this?

None at the moment, it's up to the owner to secure the Network.

Darren Campbell
Technical Design Architect

Hey,

He is either silly enough to use the default settings or wants to share his internet with his neighbours.....

Connect away.

Cya,

Brett

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NSW, Australia
(Unless you want to pay for our trip?)

Are you certain of this?
None at the moment
I think you require the authorisation to connect, otherwize it would mean that I could crack a network and the excuse would be, "it was not secure enough..." Very doubtful... it is as if you walk to some house, and the front door is unlocked... i doubt that this excuse would work in court.

Your thoughts???

P.S. if he is on a open network, he probably won't have any way of knowing that you are connecting unless you download large files

"Knowing that you know is the greatest sign of stupidity, knowing that you are ignorant is the best proof of intelligence.

Since XP Wireless automatically connects by default to networks it finds in range you could use the defense "I had no idea". But that was before you posted your question here and the NSA recorded it.

ItIsHardToProgram,

"otherwize it would mean that I could crack a network" That would be hacking the network and comes under different laws. This network is unprotected. I can't see any problem with it as windows will connect by default.

Also, the other person wont find out who you are if you turn off file sharing etc and change your machine name, all they will see in the router log is the IP assignment to the machine name.

My 2 cnets,

Brett

NSW, Australia

Where is your moral fibre, I can steal so I will is the mentality here. I could steal you car, tv, bank account details but I don't!

It is ILLEGAL to connect to someone else's network without permission. No ifs, no buts, done!

Recently:
"....Straszkiewicz narrowly escaped a harsher sentence, had to pay a £500 fine and had his laptop and wireless card confiscated......."

Dunno about the US as each state seems to make up laws as they go along in a really funny kind of my state law out ranks your state law way. So if your in kansas and connect to a WAP in the next state which duristiction do you come under errrrrrm????????

post this in the ethics forum and discuss it there along with copyrighted file sharing........

Iain

Well thanks spirit, I was thinking that it was illegal to. They are ways of just hiding yourself an d not letting people know, btw you need to spoof mac to bpinning

"Knowing that you know is the greatest sign of stupidity, knowing that you are ignorant is the best proof of intelligence.

Yeah and you could hide behind software proxies?

NSW, Australia

Why would you though? The price of broadband is like zero nowadays......

Some people don't understand computer so certainly don't know about wireless encryption, patching, etc. (businesses should know better although some small companies can't afford someone in to config there systems). More to the point they don't want to know about it.

They want to double click the icon and off they go....

Perhaps rather than hacking these systems you offer your services for a small fee?

JStrittmatter, the question you should ask yourself is do you want to be the big kid stealing from a smaller kid or the big kid that protects the smaller kids from other big kids?

If you war drive you probably will get caught eventually, if your sat in your bedroom then you'll probably never be caught....... but losing my Laptop & a £500 fine for the sake of £10 a month? Get real!!!!!!!

Iain

I agree,

And We do offer that service.....

NSW, Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back