Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Neighbor Hack

27Astrid

Technical User
Sep 15, 2024
I have a hacker situation where the culprit stands close to my outside WiFi hub with and instrument that looks like a cell phone. I do know he has a server in his home. I
suspect he is getting into my Xfinity WiFi network. I have also noticed that my IPad Air was being used as a hotspot. He is also able to access my streaming accounts.

I have filed a report with the FBI thinking it would be investigated but it has not.

Could someone please tell me how they think this guy is getting into my network. Any info you can share on what you think I should do is appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a hacker situation where the culprit stands close to my outside WiFi hub with and instrument that looks like a cell phone.

It probably IS a cell phone and he's just using the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot capability.

I do know he has a server in his home.

Not relevant ... but how do you know?

I suspect he is getting into my Xfinity WiFi network.

Xfinity customers are allowed to. If you want to stop it, turn off the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot. See this Xfinity doc:

How To Turn Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot On or Off.​

I have also noticed that my IPad Air was being used as a hotspot.
1. Only YOU can enable your iDevice as a hotspot and YOU have to password-protect it... they don't allow open, un-protected connections.

He is also able to access my streaming accounts.

How do you know that? Facts, not guesses.

Could someone please tell me how they think this guy is getting into my network.

I'm 99.9% sure he's not. I'm also 99.9% sure you don't understand the Xfinity terms of service, nor that your Xfinity WiFi network is separate and different to the Xfinity Home Hotspot service, nor how the Xfinity Home Hotspot service is under YOUR control. Read this Xfinity doc:

Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot FAQs

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back