Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Negative Purgable Disk Space!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chumpster

IS-IT--Management
Mar 19, 2003
AU
I'm runnig a Netware 6 environment with compression enabled, purgable disk space show as a negative figure. Can anyone suggests why this is and how I can fix it? Thanks all.... Charlie.

Charlie

dont know why it is doing it unless you maybe have a massive amount of deleted files and the admin tool is screwing up when reading them - you could try loading toolbox.nlm on the console (available from novells support site) and doing purge /ALL this will purge all the files - you can also purge by date or by volume with this utility.

Rod

hi chumpster -

Had the same thing a while back. Actually I took a screen shot and emailed it our senior engineer (cause he didn't believe me).

I found out a few things. First off, 99.6% of the time, this is only cosmetic - and is not reporting properly (as you can see). Secondly, will only show this way under:

Explorer --> R Click VOL for properties -->

From the properties area, however, you may be able to click NETWARE INFO tab ---> CHANGE ---> and place a checkmark under NO RESTRICTION.

For us, I moved my swap file from SYS to VOL and updated to sp2. This seemed to have resolved our issue.

Good Luck

Thanks Guys appreciate the input and will try your recommendations.... Just for the record, I added another 18.2 GB disk at the weekend to extend the VOL1 NSS pool. Although Netware has recognised the new increase in disk space the disk space used has gone down not up. Which my bank account had the same Characteristics.....! Thanks again Charlie.

Running a nss /poolrebuild=pool_name will solve your problem

NSS /pollrebuild seems to be a bit of a drastic measure to take to fix the above.

Novell clearly state the the rebuild options should only be used if there are no other options

regards

Marc

Hi guys, actually got a fix from the horses mouth, yes direct from Novell for this. Apply nw6nss2d.exe, the latest nss patch for Netware 6 SP2 servers and then run nss /poolrebuild=VOL1. Thanks again Charlie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back