Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

negative inventory although not allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnhugh

Technical User
Mar 24, 2010
SG
Hi, I'm using Accpac 6.

I've set negative inventory to be not allowed.
However when I run the Item valuation report as of 31/12/2014 I find an item which has a negative inventory.

We run day end processing when posting and not as a seperate day end.
Tried to sort the transactions in the database by transaction date, post date or audit date, but it still comes down to negative inventory.

What am I missing? Any pointers anyone?
Very strange.

That's always been a terrible report. Check your cutoff dates, and use Location Detail Costs.

I thought its the dates as well, but it isn't.
Looked at all the transactions in ICHIST for the item in that location and arrive at the same result as the report.

What else could it be?

Thanks. That report adds up to negative inventory as well.
I wonder whether it might be a bug in Accpac?

I think I found it.
Exported the transactions from the database again and sorted it by Audit Date.
I have internal issues processed in January but posted into December.
Accpac reports seem to calculate it by posting date thus the report shows negative quantity when there wasn't.

I guess running day end would take care of this, but then again that would only help if running it as little as possible (once a week).
Running day end daily would still have the same results as we see now with running dayend after posting?

Dunno. You're the only one having this problem, you'll have to experiment.

I'm the only one having identified the problem. Actually our auditors have.
The underlying issue seems to be that Accpac allows you to post and internal usage in previous periods but ignores the stock on hand of that period and looks at the curretn stock on hand instead.

For example:

I have 3 qty in December.
I receipt 5 qty in January.
I issue 8 qty in January, but post into December.
Accpac should tell me it only has 3 qty for December, instead it issues all 8, leaving me with -5 qty as of December and 0 qty as of January.

Day end processing has no effect on that. transactions are assigned a day end sequence number and are processed in that sequence.
Don't confuse the date order and the actual order in which transactions were entered/posted. Users can back date or post date transactions and that can scew the report results if sorted in date order.

Sage 300 ERP Certified Consultant

Oh well. That's why I tell my clients not to trust that report. You'll have to send a change request to Sage, that report hasn't changed in a decade.

If you look in the ICHIST table you will see DAYENDSEQ, ENTRYSEQ and LINENO - these will give the chronological order in which transactions were posted.

Sage 300 ERP Certified Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back