Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Needs help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

plshelp

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
IE
I was having a Cisco 1600 series router for my frame-relay connection. Recently, the router gave me a problem on conect to my counterpart in oversea. When i run the show interface command, it shows me serial is up, line protocol is down. And the LMI enq sent counter is still increased from time to time. But no received any reply. PVC status is showing deleted. The service provider helpdesk told me it could be due to the failure of the serial port on my router. But when i run the show controller, the thing looks ok. So, can anyone here tell me how to check to see whether the serial is working fine. I can ping my ethernet port but no serial port. Nobody had done any configuration on my router recently.

Anyone here have solution or suggestion for me. Please kindly help.

Generally speaking, when the show frame-relay PVC shows "deleted" it's a telco issue. You as the user can not delete the PVC.. only the Telco can.

You can make a loopback for the serial port either for use at the port or at the CSU/DSU, whichever has the RJ-45. Use a RJ45 and tie pins 1-5 and 2-4. This will bring up the serial port if it's good. green lights and the interface will it completely up.

Use the debug frame-relay lmi and look at the last part of the trace.. you will see a hex number..

Status value.
0x00---Added/inactive

0x02---Added/active

0x04---Deleted

0x08---New/inactive

0x0a---New/active

If it shows 0x04 then the switch on the TELCO side is saying the circuit PVC is deleted.. hence it's THEIR problem :)

MikeS

"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Firstly, thx for your reply. I have called telco ppl several times & they insisted there is not problem at their end. And also from the NT unit, it showing no error. They also performed a local loop test from the NT device to CO.

My fren told me this could be something to do with DLCI is not configured correctly. Is this possible ??

The debug from my last post will tell you exactly what is coming from the switch. It will show you what DLCI is being transmitted from the CO side on the same trace.

If you want, run the debug, get several outputs and post it here.

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Try plugging in a loopback as wybnormal suggested and do a debug serial interface and check to see if your keepalives are incrementing. If they are not, then you may have a defective port.

The local telco does not provision the DLCIs. Advance Network Service is responsible for that. Who do you use for the carrier( Sprint,At&t etc etc )? Serial up protocal down
can be a number of issues.

Serial0 is up, line protocol is up
Hardware is QUICC Serial
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, rely 255/255, load 1/255
Encapsulation FRAME-RELAY IETF, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)
LMI enq sent 17550, LMI stat recvd 17550, LMI upd recvd 0, DTE LMI up
LMI enq recvd 0, LMI stat sent 0, LMI upd sent 0
LMI DLCI 0 LMI type is ANSI Annex D frame relay DTE

make sure LMI upd recvd is 0 if this counters increments
then the line is in a test mode from ANS.
Verify the number of channels and your lmi-type.
Good Luck !!!

Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Jeter.. would that be the AIS side of PacBell?? I know they split the phyiscal and protocol out and I heard there is actually a third split now.

MikeS "Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

MIke,

I am not sure about that. If we can get the info from
PLSHELP than I can check it out. Heck its possible that the problem could be at the other end !!!

Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Thx for all the posting here. I would like to perform the test as what yours suggested. But, the router unit is attached with V.35 connector (from the NT unit to router). Only the ethernet port is using RJ-45 connection. Please advise.:)

There should be a RJ45 for the actual frame connection pm the wall jack and a 2nd RJ45 on the CSU/DSU. You need to put the loopback plug in the CSU/DSU RJ45.

MikeS

thats right you can loop up from the NIU ( T1). Question on the external csu/dsu is there an alarm on the unit. What type of csu/dsu is it? ( Adtran ). If its an Adtran you can loop it up in the test mode section of the adtran. please Advise !!! Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back