Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

needing suggestions for connecting 2 buildings 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
Here's the setup:
Main office and warehouse are approximately 450' away from each other on opposite sides of our lot. The warehouse connects to our network via outdated coax (RG68, I believe). The coax runs through 1.5" conduit (mostly underground) at a total distance of approximately 1000'. There's one "junction" or "pull point" box outside that's about 250' from the main office. I believe there is another box down the line that is about 250' from the first one and is where the cable emerges from the ground and enters the warehouse. Naturally, it's on the opposite side of where the network connections are. The distance it travels within the building is approximately 500' since it has to go up the wall and around one side to the opposite wall where another box is mounted as a place for the hub and the workstation connections. We may be able to shorten this distance if we take it across one of the beams or even across the bottom side of the ceiling.

Here's what I want:
I want to replace the coax with a faster, more reliable, and more modern connection.

What I've considered:
A point-to-point wireless link was my first thought. I can't use the cheap stuff (like from BestBuy) because it's range is only about 350' and wouldn't hold up to the environment of West Texas. We might be able to do a connection using the same kind of equipment that's used with wireless internet service. However, we might have a problem with interference due to our existing wireless connection. It's a last resort consideration at this point. A fibre connection would be nice but I'm not real sure if it would have a problem with the bends along the conduit route. I need to do some more research on installation guidelines. What I think may end up happening is the warehouse getting it's own internet connection and connecting to the network via a VPN connection. I'd like to avoid this if possible.

I'm open to any suggestions. I'm sure there's something I haven't considered yet or don't even know about that would solve my problem. Any ideas, people?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Fiber is the way to go for a reliable, fast solution. You may need to dig up some of the conduit if it's in bad shape but fiber with a strength member can take quite a bit of pulling. Do your research and you will know better what you are up against.

like frnaklin7255 said fiber is the way to go

you can buy fiber custom lenght pre-terminated and tested so all you have to do is pull and connect.

I have done this in a couple of instances and it worked out just fine.

50/125 multimode fiber should go the distance fine and be able to carry 10/100/1000 ethernet the older 62/125 multimode would be fine for 10/100 use.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I use a Cisco Aironet 350 wireless bridge to connect two of my sites that are about 1/4 mile apart. They have pretty good line of sight to each other so I haven't had any problems with it. The hardware cost about $3000, but that paid for itself quite quickly as the previous network connection was a frame relay link costing about $500 a month. I also have 802.11b access points inside the buildings at both ends, but I just made sure that they APs and the Bridge weren't trying to use the same channel.

If you want a more reliable connection, i would say go with fiber. there will be more work, but after all is done, you won't have any head ache like the wireless connection.

Fiber is CERTAINLY the best choice in this situation.

Multimode fiber would work great. Let's recall that OSP grade fiber is a very strong piece of cable. When we place slack loops up on aerial fiber for splicing purposes, the bend radius we assume is 90 degrees per 10 inches, so unless your conduit is really terrible... I think as long as you pull it slowly and use sufficient cable lubricant, you should be fine.

I have to agree with the others that have replied to your post. I would run multimode fiber to connect this building. I would also run mule tape in the conduit as it was pulled in. This would allow you to be able to pull something else through at another time. For most of my smaller buildings I install multimode. Our network group usually does a single attachment and this works fine.

Mikey

Fiber is definitely the best choice but an affordable and reliable wireless option is from a company called Buffalo wireless. The have 11 mb and 54 mb solutions and I actually replaced all of my cisco aironets with Buffalo. I use them for Modular buildings and temporary constructions and havent had to touch any of them (installed 2 years ago). They will pass dhcp and pretty much any other protocol you need to push across them. I can setup a base station and remote site for under $1000

Thanks to everyone who responded. It looks like I need to start practicing a sales pitch to the boss for a fiber link.

There is a wireles way to go. I have installed a few of these units. ZOOM wireless lan to lan bridge. CDW has the best price. If I remember correctly they are about $1600. Unit comes with direction antennaes and the boxes. I have the brochures at the office , let me know if you need it.

Matt
MFurrer@charter.net

I did a little bit of looking around and saw some potential solutions regarding the fiber link. This is what I'm thinking about:

2 Allied Telesyn AT-MC14 Ethernet Media Converter
"10 Mbps Ethernet Media Converter. 10Base-T(RJ-45/twisted pair) - 10Base-FL (fiber optic) (SC). External power supply "
AT claims that you can have a fiber length of up 15km with these units. At around $110.00 each, they seem like they'd be perfect for me.

1000 feet of 62.5/125 multimode fiber pre-terminated with SC connectors at about $1100.00 for the whole thing. If I get someone to run it and terminate the cable for me I was told that it might cost around $500.00. I think I can get it run through the conduit for free but I'd have to pay someone to terminate the ends and test it but that shouldn't cost much.

Has anyone used these or similar media converters? I've used AT's Centrecom transceivers (BNC/AUI) in the past and had very little trouble with them so I'm hoping the media converters will be similar in reliablility. If anyone knows of some better converters at around the same price, let me know.

I have used the AlliedTelesyn converters for years they are rock solid and 'foolproof' you may find them on ebay for way under retail. (folks who upgraded to 100 meg) I used the older ST versions, (AT-MC13 is similar) but my plant is mostly the older ST connectors

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

SC connectors may be difficult to pull through the conduit, you may want to consider something like this:

We have used Siemon products for several years and have always been very happy with them.

In the US they are available through Anixter and Graybar (and probably a few others).
Mark

You don't mention how many workstations in the warehouse, but if you are going to install this fiber, I would not go with the 10 MB solution.
At a minimum I would pull in 50/125 MM fiber and a 100 MB setup.
The cost shouldn't be much more, and if you put in a 10 MB solution and find it is causing bottlenecks management probably won't be impressed with the ROI.
At 1000' it would be possible to do 1 GB with 50/125, but not likely with 62.5/125.

You'll definately not get 1000' on 62.5, 220 meters (721') is spec and in real world, I've seen 1gig stop at 500'.

Any 50 micron is becoming less expensive than 62.5. Like copper, there are a varity of grades of 50 micron fiber, but the low end stuff is lower than 62.5. So there is no reason at all to put in 62.5.

Media converters aren't a bad idea if you've got copper only switches and don't want to buy new equipment. There are a lot of solutions for that.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back