Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

needing more ide's

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGC

Vendor
Mar 19, 2000
US
I'm running a duron 700 and epox 8kta, daul boot with win98se(8gig) & beos(2gig), ls-120, cd. I want to add more ide's with out turning to a full raid system. Thinking along the lines of promise eidemaxII. Any Ideals [sig]<p>R & G Computers<br><a href=mailto:rafales@alltel.net>rafales@alltel.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Ide for what ?
Maybe its make sense to you SCSI adapter ?

I manage a computer store, so so hardware is no probelm. scsi cost too much! even though i have a 4.5 scsi setup, all my os are on ide. i have the new drives (cdr,tape backup) now. I have no open irq's,lost com2, ready to lose lpt1. promise desn't use irq's. my box is full, [sig]<p>R & G Computers<br><a href=mailto:rafales@alltel.net>rafales@alltel.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

It's like this, on any motherboard with 2 IDE Controlers , you can only have 2 IDE devices per control, so there is no way you can get past 4 IDE devices for a motherboard unless it has more IDE port, or unless you use a RAID or other kind of adapter. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

How about the software solution of partition magic? One big drive, divide it down to usable size? Keeps everything separate. [sig]<p>Ed Fair<br><a href=mailto: efair@atlnet.com> efair@atlnet.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. <br>
Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.<br>
[/sig]

How 'bout an IDE controller card? I had one and had 5 IDE devices going. No problems.

If you run a computer store...can you change your m-bd to an Asus. They have a sweet Socket A board that has the basic 2 IDE channels (that support ATA/66 too!) as well as on on-board Promise Ultra ATA 100 on-board and 2 additional IDE ports. Supports a max of 8 IDE devices!!!!

BTW, do you have enough Power Supply for all this? May need 400 or even 500w to run all that stuff in one box...
Tom Whitehead
twhitehead@commeq.com

Tomw,
I wouldn't put a ASUS in a system if it was the LAST MB on earth!! Right now Epox is The best board out there. after building over 500 systems, using Epox, Abit, Asus and Gigabyte MB's. Epox has the lease RMA's. ASUS is almost 100% RMA (#$#$$% Trash). My 8Kta-2 ata100 is very stable at oc 700 to 850. See i build systems for schools and they have to be very stable, give me a 8KTA, 8KTA+. 8KTA-2, KT7,7ZX any day, A7V are trash.

R & G Computers
rafales@alltel.net

Wow. RGC, I've been building systems for years. I would guess I've used almost every brand in existance. If I have not built a machine with it, I've probably FIXED a machine with it. If you are having more than 1 out of 500 asus motherboards RMA'd you are doing something wrong. My company has sold over 10000 machines with asus motherboards, and we have a &quot;return for service&quot; rate on our machines of less than 1 in 1000. Check out all the reviews. See which boards are on top. It's not epox.
David Moore
dm7941@sbc.com

I agree, dm7941, out of all the board manufacturers on the market, Asus seem to deliver consistantly good products.

RGC, if you've had 100% failure rate with Asus boards, I would think you very unlucky!

Abit and Tyan are my (personal) 2nd and 3rd choices for motherboards, respectively.

With a good PnP board and O/S, IRQs should not be an issue: the Promise card is good, as is the Abit Hotrod. You do not have to use the RAID features of the card, and it will certainly give you extra IDE channels.

Also, if you're installing these machines in schools, I would suggest that you do not overclock the processors. This practice is fine for home PCs, but generally unnecessary for this kind of environment - and could lead to the problems you are experiencing. Although I understand that Asus boards are particularly good for overclocking!

I hope this information is useful

personally in the past Asus and Abit been my best motherboards, the Abit KA7 was rated as one of the best for SlotA Athlons, where as my current Asus K7V Socket (yea they're is a Slot version with the Exact same name) was rated 10/10 at many places for being the best SocketA board, both of which have served me pretty much flawlessly (the Asus better than the abit for my case) but the above guys are right, without proper maintenance, handeling or just plain configuring , any motherboard can be your worst nightmare, dont let just your own personal experience get in your way ask around to other resellers.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back