Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Needing info on the HP9000 712/60 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTreme43

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
US
Well, I recently bought one in CA, and it is being shipped to me this week (hopefully). Would like to know what OS works best on this RISC system and what HD is usually in it. I know it has 64 meg ram, built in Lan, 2 ps2 ports for mouse and keyboard. That is all i know. Tried to go to HP website and found no links or nothing on this old box...any help would be appreciated

Hi XTreme43,
We have number of 712 box running 10.20 and 11.00.
I will suggest run HP-UX 11.00. with whole disk partition if you have only 2gb disk. If you have 4gb+ disk then use LVM. If you can buy some memory for it that would be great too. 64Mb will work without any problem.
We have our DNS server on 712/60.

Patel

Patel, thanks for the info....just one question, where do i find that HP-ux 11.00 at????? is it downloadable or do i have to buy it???

I have a little knowledge on linux, (ie RH and Caldera) is HP-us 11.00 around the same as it, or will i have to relearn it??

Hi XTreme,
HP is very easy to learn. If you know linux you will have no problem in HP. Join to the HP's forum on forums.itrc.hp.com.
HP 11.00 OS is not free. I don't know may be it is free for students.
If you somehow gets the 11.00 or new 11i OS CD just connect the cdrom with your 712 and turn on the system. stop the boot sequence by pressing any key (follow the instruction on screen). Use command search to search for cdrom then boot from cdrom using "bo address" (address return by search). After that it is easy. it will take 4-5 hour to load OS.

Welcome to HP.

Patel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back