Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Needing a hand on finishing up a switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Internexus

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2004
US
I am workin with a catalyst 3500 switch currently and blew out the config and am rebuilding it... I am almost finished but there are a couple of small areas that have me wondering what need's to be input. They are as follows.

Name-Server
Domain-List
Domain-Lookup
Domain-Name

Do all of these areas need anything actually input? If so what do I need to put into them? For the domain ones I am wondering do I just put in the data for my dns' to the internet? If so do I need to name it? Also I don't really need to create the list correct? As for the name server I have no idea about that. Thanks guys!
-sean

Basically... You don't need to enter those commands at all....

They setup your switch to be a DNS client, and allows you to say ping etc. You don't need it on your switch, but you can feel free to do so.

I would also run the command "no ip domain-lookup". This makes sure that that the DNS client is turned off, so if you accidently input a wrong command you won't have to sit there while the switch tries to contact a DNS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back