Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need your expert opinion ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 1999
CA
Hi guys !!!<br>
<br>
I'm sort of unsure whether to stick with my K6-2/450 or get a 366 Celeron and overclock it. <br>
<br>
Can someone plase explain to me how these CPUs compare (cache size, performance, graphic processing power, etc, etc). Also, what are the average running temperatures (in degrees Celsius) of both CPUs when cooled with a regular ballbearing fan / heatsink combo. What are some of the good cooling solutions for the K6-2s and Celerons ? Can you suggest some fast/stable Celeron boards that would withhold overclocking and some good Super Socket 7 boards as well ...<br>
<br>
Here's the rest of my system :<br>
128 MB PC100 RAM (Canadian-made, Cicero brand), IBM DeskStar 13GB 7200RPM UDMA33 HDD, 32 MB ATI Rage Fury card (AGP), 10X/40x Pioneer DVD-ROM/CD-ROM, 6x4x24 Ricoh CDRW, Panasonic FDD, ATX case w/ 250W ATX P.S., SB Live 128, D-Link Ethernet Card.<br>
<br>
Thanks a lot for your help !!!

I'm sort of unsure why you would want to trash a 450 for an overclocked 366 (assuming you can<br>
overclock it).

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;DEFINATELY GO WITH THE AMD!!! AMD processors are made to a much higher specification when it comes to reliability & to graphics/sound ouput than a celeron could even compare to.....not even the PIIIs are as good as the AMD products when it comes to sound & video processing/definition. <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

I have a Celeron 300A system overclocked to 504MHz and a K6-2-450 also overclocked to 504MHz.<br>
<br>
If you use a lot of applications that make heavy use of floating point, then the overclocked Celeron would be better. Whether or not is enough better to justify the new motherboard and cpu is up to you but I would sort of doubt it.<br>
<br>
Another option, if you can sell your K6-2-450 and get a fair price for it, is to install a K6-3-450 (if your motherboard will support it, it draws a lot more current than the K6-2-450). The raw fpu speed is no faster but beings the L2 cache is on the cpu die and is running at the full cpu clock, overall cpu performance is increased.<br>
<br>
As to the K6 being better better for sound and video processing/definition, this would be entirely up to the software and the associated sound/video analog hardware. If the cpu is not performing the instructions that the sound/video software is telling it to, then it is malfunctioning.<br>
<br>
Paul <p>Paul J. Stiles<br><a href=mailto:stilespj@mindspring.com>stilespj@mindspring.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back