Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need yoru Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

enochg

IS-IT--Management
Dec 17, 2003
US
I am running Verizon DSL (dynamic IP) and my friend is running SprintDSL with static address. We want to be able to connect to the machine running Verizon DSL which has a public IP of 198.*.*.*. How do I go about doing this? Will VNC or PCanywhere work? and if yes, how? My problem is that the connection will be generated from a static IP to a client with a public IP(192.168.*.*).

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
EG

Try to use DNS2go or DynIP to make sure that your ip changes are reflected and use doomain name to helpout whit ip tracking.
Make sure that you have something as linksys DSL/Cable router wiht NAT ennabled.

If by, 'be able to connect,' you mean to take remote control, that is to have someone across the internet take keyboard, mouse and monitor control of a system, PcAnywhere can do that. If you mean to setup a network to appear a part of another network over a WAN connection you may want to look into a VPN type software.

AS for PcA, since both are on a DSL connection you will need to setup the DSL device (often refered to as a DSL modem) to port forward.

You may want to check out the following Knowledge based doc at symantec's website:

and

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back