Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I need advice.

I was in the Customer Service field for about 15 years, then I changed careers to work in the computer area. I got a position at the same company on the help desk. I worked on the help desk for about two years until a layoff happen. I was making about $45K. I took the severance money and took MCSE courses. (Previously I didnt have any formal trainging in computers, I just picked up everything on my own) I've completed all the classes but only four of the exams. I've got the MCP certification, but still have to get the MSCE. I was paid handsomely when I was laid off so I didnt work for two years. I now have job making much less money but doing a lot more. Im making $35,000. I am the help desk, I management NT (accounts and servers and backup), maintain network, lay cable for the network, move equipment. Theres only two people in this computer department (about 150 computers) I do everything, including vacuuming. I have a boss, but he does mostly programming, so its basically jusy me. When I was looking it was so hard for me to get a job becuase of my inexperience with NT.

I've been here six months.

Am I worth more than 35$ on the market?
How long should I stay here to get experience.

Do you know what your stuff? Depending on where you live, the industry is so hungry for people with experience, I'd say now's a good time to start looking. Just see what kind of responses you get and go from there.

Dan [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back