Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need WinXPro driver for dot matrix printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzoorrkk

Technical User
Mar 11, 2007
CA
I use a Panasonic KXP2180 for printing labels. I want to use this dotmatrix printer in WinXPro. However, the default WinXPro driver does not allow for custom paper output, only standard ones like letter, legal, A4, B5. I need a driver that will allow me to custom define the size of the paper output.

Is there such a driver out there?

I doubt it - the Panasonic says drivers included in XP. I have uploaded the windows 3.11 drivers if you want to give them a go (no guarantees LOL)

You can download the zip here

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

I tried the above. I did Add Printer, and Have Disk; then WinXPro could not pull up a list of printers.

How can I make a custom driver for the dotmatrix printer under WinXPro?

I tried it too - but got "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

I assumed that was because I don't have that printer.

I unzipped to a scratch folder on my HDD.

At the 'Have disk' stage I navigated to the oemsetup.inf file. That is when I got the above message - but the inf file definitely includes your printer.

I guess XP can't install old 3.1 drivers.

Maybe your best option now is to contact Panasonic?

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Thanks stduc, I managed to stumble onto how to make the custom form.

Start>Printers and Faxes>File>Server Properties>Forms
Tab>Create a New Form

Ok, so now the dotmatrix printer is printing fine and stops at the correct length. But now I want to adjust the Lines Per Inch on the printer. I think it defaults to 6 lines per inch. I want 8.

Where do I go to make the adjustment?

Any dip-switches on this printer to set LPI? If not, do you have the manual and does it show an ESC sequence for setting LPI?

I had a customer that used old legacy DOS software and needed access to the printer...what I did was create a virtual windows 98se machine and a virtual DOS machine. the printer had a XP equivalant driver that worked ok

Panasonic don't appear to have a downloadable manual for the 2180. There is one for the 2130 though - here
That appears to talk about a setup disk that sets the LPI etc. (Page 31). I don't suppose you still have that?

I will try searching for this setup disk on Google. Thanks for all the help.

I used to have this problem with Panasonic and Citizen printers when I was using Windows 95, and generally solved it by finding the Epson drives the manufacturer deemed adequate for running the printer. In case of the KXP2130, it's the Epson LQ-860, and its driver is also in WinXP. And the Panasonic web site sez a driver disk for the KXP2130 is available for Win95, but the KXP2180 only goes to Win3.11.

Ouch!

I used to run both a Citizen dot matrix printer that emulated an Epson FX-80 and an IBM Wheelwriter off an Atari 800 by inserting the appropriate Escape codes in the appropriate places, but it was a lot of work and I was glad to upgrade to Windows 3.1. Good luck.

Sloth is the mother of invention. Necessity is just a mother...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back