Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need virus help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamaz17

Technical User
Mar 31, 2004
CA
Hey all,

The past few days a few peoples e-mail have been bombarded with bogus e-mails, from what seems to be people on their contact lists. There are no attactments in the e-mails they have been receiving only text which say stuff like "sorry about the e-mail that didn't go through" and other stuff like that. I've done a lot of searching around and I can't find anything our virus software here (CA inoculateIT) also hasn't found anything. Does anyone have an ideas as to what it could be, it's becoming a real nuisance.
Thanks in advance for any help

Jamaz,

Is the message "Sorry_your_message_cannot_be_delivered._"? If so, it sounds like you might be looking at the Sober.f variant.

Howdy:

Odds are, their email addresses are being "spoofed".. As per Webopedia..

"Forging an e-mail header to make it appear as if it came from somewhere or someone other than the actual source. The main protocol that is used when sending e-mail -- SMTP -- does not include a way to authenticate. There is an SMTP service extension (RFC 2554) that allows an SMTP client to negotiate a security level with a mail server. But if this precaution is not taken anyone with the know-how can connect to the server and use it to send spoofed messages by altering the header information. "

Someone, that has those addresses in their contact list is infected by one of a dozen or more virii out there that spoof email address.. Until that system is found and cleaned, expect lots of these !!

Murray

Thanks for the info guys, I looked into the Sober virus and all the messages I am receiving are consistant with what I have now read about the Sober virus. I downloaded a removal tool for Sober from Symenantic and I'm testing computers now, although the computer that i have tested so far apear to be clean, although this is one of the computer receiving these mass amounts of e-mails.

-James

Nothing has to be infected on your end for your machine(s) to be receiving the emails. It could be one of your clients, one of your employees home pcs, etc.

Tired of waiting for an answer? Try asking better questions. See: faq222-2244

Howdy:

As carr said, it probably isn't one of your systems infected.. The infected system will, in all liklihood, be outside you span of control.. It could be a clients system, a friend's system, that has one of your employees email address in their Contact List .. That is the system in question that has to be found and cleaned and that will be a near impossibility...

Murray

Thanks for the awsome help guys, agree with you guys that the virus is some where outside of my control.

Thanks again,

-James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back