Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need Viceo Card upgrade Advice for Dell Dimension 4400

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIMinGR

Technical User
May 11, 2007
US
I was looking at upgrading my Dell Dimension 4400 video card. From what I have read that the Dell takes a AGP 4x card. I am running 64mb INVIDIA. Dell rep recommends me to upgrade to a FX5500 GForce PCI. I am running a 250mhz psu with a Pentium 4 process at 1/6ghz internally and 400 mhz externally. My RAM is at 756MB Ram. I was told that there are not many cards available to upgrade with AGP that is compatible with my system except the Dell 4400 which will run good as PCI vid card. he stated that the FX5500 GForce PCI is a good top card to use and I will have no issues with it. Do you agree? Are there other cards that would work good for an ok gammer like Infactions (medeival on-line game doing battle and saving the world)? Thanks for any replies.

If you have a dedicated 4X AGP graphics slot then stay clear of inferior PCI cards, they are generally more expensive and have poor performance when compared to a dedicated AGP version.
The Nvidia FX5500 is an entry level graphics card that will struggle with anything new. I recommend you look for a decent AGP card, something like an ATI 9800Pro (you can still buy these bulk or referbished.
This card would be 3 or 4 times more powerful than the FX5500 and although 8X AGP would work just fine in a 4X AGP slot.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

You really don't want a PCI card as paparazi says. You shouldn't have a problem with most AGP cards, even if they say that they are 8x they will be OK on a 4x controler. Nvidia or ATI chipsets are your best bet. Check out for some good prices. Look on the net for reviews to find out what might be best for your usage.

Thanks for the data. I have a 250 watt PSU and according to what I found on the ATI9800 Pro AGP it requires 300 watts. Will the difference of 50 watts hurt my performance with the ATI9800 Pro AGP?

I as for the RAM on the ATI Radion 9800 Pro AGP I am looking at the 128MB.

Shouldn't make too much difference, but you can always get another PSU. What other hardware is running from the PSU?

I am running a DVD rw, cdrw, Network Card and then my basic video card. I show my PF Usage at 314MB and my CPU usage @ 0-5% with and occasional spike to 19% unless updates are running with Norton. Mostly 0-4% for CPU.

My current Video Card is NVIDIA GeForce2 MX PCI. That is the card that I wish to replace. I read that Nvidia is a better card than ATI. I do not know how true this is? Last I could get a card then upgrade the PSU if needed. I forgot to list my Creative Live Sound Blaster Card which is also running. I do get occasional quick spikes to 100% on the CPU when on the net (perhaps when transmitting)

I would be a little wary about going for something too powerful with only a 250watt PSU fitted.
You always run the risk of overloading it and causing it to fail with possible catastrophic results to your important data.
With a PC from this era I think you are better off picking up a second user AGP card from around the same vintage, from somewhere like ebay etc.
Bareing in mind that 250watt PSU list below.

ATI9500, ATI9500pro, ATI9700, ATI9700pro

Nvidia FX5600, FX5600ultra, FX5700, FX5900

Even with some of these power will be border line.
There is nothing wrong with ATI cards.
Martin

What if I upgrade my PSU to 400watts? Would I then be best to get an Nvidia or ATI 9800 AGP?

With the amount of hardware you really need to upgrade your PSU. I have never had a problem with either Nvidia or ATI cards. I would go for the best that you can afford. Check online to see if there are any reviews for the card you decide on before you order it. You may find some useful information.

I certainly agree a 400watt PSU will be necessay for any of the higher end AGP cards out there.
I recommended the ATI Radeon 9800PRO for several reasons:
It is a very good all round card delivery lots of power with DirectX9.0 compliance and it still available OEM/refurb or remanufactured.
Also look out for ATI Radeon 9800XT and the slightly older but still very powerful 9700PRO

For Nvidia I would recomment the FX5900/FX5900XT/FX5900ultra and possibly the 5700ultra (note ultra not LE etc)
I'm not sure if a later 6600GT/6800GT/Ultra in AGP would work but to be honest, and even if they did, a machine of this age and speed would seriously bottleneck cards this powerful, you would be wasting your money on something that wouldn't be performing anywhere near it's potential.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't be spending too much money on upgrading the graphics on what is a fairly old machine, personally I would be looking at second user parts from somewhere like ebay as there are plenty of users upgrading to new machines and PCIexpress interface.
Martin

I want to thank every individual who replied to my posts. I stumbled upon this web site and now keep it in my favorites. I'm not an amature to PCs but not a pro either. I think I will work on getting either the FX5700 ultra which will run 250 minimun and then if the speed needs it I will run with a psu upgrade. I did read that Dell underestimates the power of the PSU and mine actualy runs @ 336 mhz. I believe it would best suited for me to stick with 250 minimum so I do not over-extend. In about a couple of years then upgrade to a newer system. Thanks again.

KIMinGR

I would just recommend upgrading the entire thing at once if you plan on gaming at all with it.

You're limited to video cards, thanks to your cpu and powersupply. Putting a great psu in an old system like that is a waste.

Save up, upgrade the whole thing. The Geforce FX line is the worst they ever made.

IT Admin (PBX Newbie)
Nortel Option11
Version 1411
Release 21
Issue 7+
MerMail 10.7.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back