Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need variable field names in SQL query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgesOne

Technical User
Jul 2, 2004
JP
Dear All:
I have a select query, which at one part needs variable vield names via a vba function.
The following query works:
Select A.ID, A.MS200810, A.MS200811, A.MS200812, IIf(A.MS200812 = A.MS200810,"","X") As GOMS
However the query:
Select A.ID, A.MS200810, A.MS200811, A.MS200812, IIf(bss_fGetDate1() = bss_fGetDate2(),"","X") As GOMS
does not work.

bss_fGetDate(1) and bss_fGetDate(2) are defined by VBA:

Function bss_fGetDate(1) As String
bss_fGetDate(1) = "A." & DFirst("MSLastDate", "atblDates")
End Function

Function bss_fGetDate(2) As String
bss_fGetDate(2) = "A." & DFirst("MS1Date", "atblDates")
End Function

and produce "A.MS200812" and "A.MS200810" respectively.

I understand that the query now compares the two strings "A.MS200812" and "A.MS200810" and correctly concludes the result is false (and "X" is what I see in all table rows). I believe the error comes from my function definition as String, but I do not know how to get the query understand that these are no strings but field names.

Thank you for any comments, georgesOne

Sorry the queries are of course

SELECT A.ID, A.MS200810, A.MS200811, A.MS200812, IIf(A.MS200812 = A.MS200810,"","X") As GOMS FROM tblMiles AS A
and
SELECT A.ID, A.MS200810, A.MS200811, A.MS200812, IIf(bss_fGetDate1() = bss_fGetDate2(),"","X") As GOMS FROM tblMiles As A

Thanks, georgesOne

Thanks for the suggestion and quick response, Duane.
I understand and will try - unfortunately the query is already very complex (and will become more complex having many interdependant fields - I needed to separate it in three queries to meet Access field limits) - more than 12000 letters (yes, some are redundant) - so there are many chances to make mistakes.
Actually, I am already crazy right now - if you read the news about a sadly ended 'programmer' in a closed institute in Japan, it is me.
May need to reconsider the whole thing...
Nevertheless - gambarimashoo, georgesOne

It looks to me like you are storing data in field names like "MS200812". This quite often leads to overly complex results. I could be wrong but having to dynamically select field names suggests issues.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Hi Duane,
Actually I am on my way... your suggestion works (in a smaller test db). Thank you very much!
Probably you will not read the sad news.
Kind regards, georgesOne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back