Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED URGENT HELP with display and data loss of a form

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmallTime

Technical User
May 17, 2004
GB
Need Urgent help

I'm at a customer site as I type this and have run into a problem I can't sort out soany quick solution would be so apprecaited.

Problem: when I open a pop-up form on top of another form thats displaying a record in various text boxes the unerlying forms data is lost and the one of the text boxies that has concaternated text shows 'error'. Also data in a list box is "cut-off" (doesn't display) but only in the part that the pop up covered! the remainder is ok.

Any ideas?

Perhaps this could solve the problem.
Insert this line before calling tha pop-up
DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, acSaveRecord, , acMenuVer70

Herman
Say no to macros

How are ya SmallTime . . .

In there any code in the pop-ups OnOpen\OnLoad\OnCurrent events attempting to manipilate the record in question?

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Think he's left the client now

Ian Mayor (UK)
Program Error
Programming is 10% coding and 90% error checking.

Hi,

Sorry for taking a while to get back.

A little after posting my question I got involved in quite lengthy staff training.

hermanlaksko, I had already tried something along the line of your suggestion without any luck.

It’s quite strange. The app. works fine at every other client location and also on my machines. I’ve been using it for about 5 years, so I was really thrown with this. I double-checked my code on the two forms and also the underlying queries but all seems normal. I haven’t tinkered with this part of the app for years as it’s never before given any cause for concern.

I even remade the MDE a couple of times in case there was a bug creeping in but still came up with the exact same problem. It's not anything to do with refs and all code has been properly compiled.

There isn’t any code that might be triggered on the events of the pop-up or the events of the main form, which is for viewing data only. The pop-up contains (other then data for viewing) only one close button. (DoCmd.close)

Other fields on the main form aren’t affected just an address field (text box) and an address column in a list box, The other column in the same list box is OK!

The two sections only loss data if and when the pop-up covers them. If I then refresh the form data the list box data returns but not the data in the text box, which in my panic forgot to mention is on a subform.

Both these fields contain concatenated text and a TRIM function and I’m now beginning to wonder if this has something to do with it. But not sure. (Maybe this is a clue to what might be causing the problem)

The clients running reasonably newish networked PC’s that already had Access 2002 installed. However, my app was running under A2K runtime, (installed in a custom directory), This mirrors the setup at numerous other locations and hasn’t been a problem.

The only oddity my colleague noticed about their PC’s was that although they running 2.4 Mhz machines under XP, they only had 256meg of ram and were quite slow. However, if indeed this was the cause I would have expected other parts of the app to stop working as well or not to run at all, but this wasn’t the case at all and every other part of the app worked A1.

The clients really pleased with the app and this will be a major sale for me. However, this issue could potentially be a showstopper and I have 2 weeks to come up with a solution. For their part they’ve agreed to increase the ram on one of their machines to see if this makes any difference.

Now I have a new problem in trying to recreate this issue at home, so I’m going to be hunting around for an old PC that I can mutilate.

Why is it that with all the weeks and weeks of testing I do to make sure everything sings in harmony, this sort of thing pops up to kick me in the teeth at a client’s site? It just sucks.

I’ve found the offending script.

I have a couple of fields on my main form that contain TRIMMED concatenated text.
Eg. Address: Trim ([Flat] & " " & [No] & " " & [Street] & " " &[Address1] & " " & [PCode]) which seem to loose their data and either show a blank field or “Name”.

When I first open the form that contain these fields they show the correct data, however, if they’re then covered by a pop-op form the data is lost leaving either a blank column in case of a list box or ‘name’ in the case of a text box (which is on a sub form.)

I’ve removed the offending trim and all works ok now, except for the unwanted space but that’s a small price to pay.

I’d really love to get to the bottom of this.

-I’ve check that all the correct references are in place
-No loss of linkage with the back-end
-Network is sufficiently fast (even ran the BE locally to make sure it’s no a speed issue)
-No obvious problems with code, complies Ok
-No obvious corruption creeping into the works

I’ve wrecked my brain over this and can’t see the trees for the wood anymore. Any ideas would be appreciate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back