Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need upgrade help\tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssidhu

Technical User
Apr 5, 2007
US
Well in order to be CISP complaint, I have purchased a new version of Aloha 3.1x (not sure the exact number yet, as the cd hasn't come). I'm currently running v. 5.27 and have chosen to install the upgrade myself, as the dealer is located quite a distance away and charges an arm and a leg for onsite service even though I'm on the maintainence plan.

I'm not expecting any documentation to come with the cd, so I was hoping you guys could guide me through the upgrade process and let me know if there is any odd behaviour I should expect and how to resolve the issues.

I know this is a tall order... but I would appreciate any help or tips you can provide. I've read through all the pages of threads trying to find a similar thread but have been unable to.

Thank you.

If all goes well it should be as simple as popping the CD on the server and clicking a button to upgrade. Sometimes it's as simple as this, hopefully your site will be one of the easy ones.

Bigblok is right, this is usually not a big deal.

You can't have a transaction log in your data directory. So do this before the store opens and before anyone logs in.

The other issue-if the CD does not autorun, launch it with the Advanced file thats on the CD. The SETUP one won't work.

Last tip: Do it on a slow business day. More than likely, nothing will happen from such a small upgrade, but that will give you some time to call your dealer is some minor thing does go wrong.

Good luck!

Thanks guys,

My dealer makes it out to something of epic proportions and one tech actually told me I'd have to go to each terminal and do an install and that they could PCA in and do it as long as I was there to do certain things that they couldn't do over PCA but they wanted $110\hr for this and I figured I'd rather just install myself and call them and get charged if I into isues.

Also, I didn't mention but I currently have the Delivery and Giftcard mgmt modules installed with 5.27, but didn't purchase the new version because I need these anymore. Is this something that will automatically take care of itself during the upgrade, or will I have to somehow remove these modules.

- Suneet

If your dealer put PCAnywhere on your back office server, your dealer should be able to remotely connect to your server and update the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back