Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED TO UNINSTALL SP3 IN A HURRY BUT CAN'T!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stethun

Technical User
Oct 26, 2002
GB
I need to uninstall Service Pack 3 in a hurry.
I'm running Win2000 Pro, 5.0.2195, Service Pack 3 Build 2195.
I chose 'backup files' when I installed SP3, indeed the folder $NTServicepackUninstall$ is in the systemroot folder where it should be. But there is no 'Windows 2000 Service Pack 3' under add/remove programs as there should be.

Are you there wolluf??!!

Steve

This service pack contains a removal feature for restoring a computer to its previous state. When you run the Update.exe program to install the service pack, a subfolder named $ntservicepackuninstall$ is created in your %windir% folder. You can remove the service pack by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel or by running the uninstall program from the command prompt.

Important: Service packs that have been installed using the integrated installation method cannot be removed. In addition, as with earlier service packs, if any programs or services have been installed that require or have fixes contained in the service pack, removing the service pack can adversely affect those programs.

<You can remove the service pack by using
<Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel
No I can't! That's what I explained in my posting!

However, if you could tell me the command promt to use to do it that way I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Service packs that have been installed using the integrated installation method cannot be removed.

You may want to try re-installing the Service Pack making sure that you backup the files needed to uninstall the service pack which is one of the options that you can check off during the setup. After that the Service Pack will most likely show up in you Add/Remove Programs box.

stethun,

tour1sarge's idea sounds good. If it doesn't work, have a look in the $ntservicepackuninstall$ folder - there should be a folder called spuninst, in which there's an app spuninst.exe. If you run that, I think it will uninstall SP3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back