Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to uninstall or change Grub to /dev/hda1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Blessing

Programmer
Feb 25, 2000
US
I recently installed mandrake7.1(last night matter of fact), I have 3 harddrives, HD1 (61G hdd, split into 3 partitions, known as C: F: G: by windows) HD2 13G known as D: by windows, and a 10G known as E: , both HD1 and 2 are on the IDE channel, as normal E: is on my ATA/100 port. I installed Linux to a second partition on D:, which is known as /dev/hdb5 (swap) /dev/hdb6 (native) , unfortunatly, Grub is making the Windows option point to /dev/hdb1 and not /dev/hda1 even tho the bootload is installed on hda,

even using DrakConfig I cannot change or add a menu option to point to /hda1 so that I Can boot into my normal session of windows.

also I cant run grub -u, as I could with lilo -u, how do I change/add, or just uninstall Grub.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

11. How to uninstall GRUB from my hard disk drive?
There is no concept uninstall in boot loaders, because if you uninstall a boot loader, an unbootable machine would simply remain. So all you need to do is overwrite another boot loader you like to your disk, that is, install the boot loader without uninstalling GRUB.

For example, if you want to install the boot loader for Windows, just run FDISK /MBR on Windows. If you want to install LILO (I can't imagine why you want to do such a thing, though), run /sbin/lilo on GNU/Linux.

Ok I'm not much of a happy camper, realizing it doesnt back up the old bootloader, and put it back when you uninstall like Lilo does.

Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm playing catch up...

If you ever need to back up a boot sector, you can try this:

* Identify the partition that contains the boot loader. For example, /dev/hda1

* Use dd to take a backup of the boot sector:

[tab]dd bs=512 count=1 if=/dev/hda1 of=/path/to/backup.file

Obviously, change /dev/hda1 to whatever partition your boot loader is on. I've used this technique to backup boot sectors for Win9x, Win2000, LILO, and GRUB.

On the flip side, to restore a boot sector, get the system booted to Linux with your emergency boot floppy and use dd again:

[tab]dd bs=512 count=1 if=/path/to/backup.file of=/dev/hda1

WARNING No guarantees that the restore will work for you. And always remember the sacred mantra - "Backups, backups, backups ommmmmm" ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back