Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to undo year 2029 expiration hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

chagme

IS-IT--Management
Jan 19, 2002
US

I'm supporting a LAN where the previous netadmin did some kind of hack so that Norton 2002 won't expire until 2029 or 2028.

Problem is, one year later the subscription expired and now, even if I un-install NAV and install 2003, the system still says subscription expired. And it still shows the year 2029 (it says 2028 before installing 2003 version).

All the systems are Win2k

Anyone know how I can undo this hack?

Thanks.

Think you'll have to find the hack that was used, could make it worse by using trial and error.

You can try the rnav2003 utility from symantec, may or may not work. Uninstall the current norton AV and run the tool.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

I've run into a similar problem before.

You could try this:

1. Uninstall NAV
2. There should be a "Symantec" folder under Docs and Settings\All Users\Application Data. This folder is actually where the supscription info is stored. Delete the folder.
3. Reinstall NAV again and it should pick up a new 12 month subscription.

PS When encountered with this problem before I've also used a registry cleaner to do a registry clean before reinstalling - use at your own risk of course! :)

Thanks very much for the tips. Will give it a try next time I'm on-site and let you all know how it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back