Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to sort table - simple question

Status
Not open for further replies.

elviajero

MIS
Feb 8, 2001
US
Sorry to bother with such a simple question, but when I open a table return all rows in Enterprise Manager, the sort ascending and sort descending buttons are grayed out. Would simply like to sort my table in ascending order. Have looked through BOL and don't see an obvious reason why these buttons are grayed out. Any ideas as to how to sort the records in my table in ascending order by first alphabetic character would be most appreciated.

Hi elviajero,

Have an index created on the desired column. A non clustered index will do.

When you next open a table with all rows return, you will see the results sorted.

RajD

Click the SQL button and add the following line to the SQL query

order by column_name

where column_name is the name of the column you wish to sort on. Then click on the ! button to rerun the query.

Rick.

Thanks, guys! Either would have worked but I opted for the line of SQL code. Life is good.

Is there a way to save the query once I've added that line of code? If I X out of the window and re-open the table, the line of code is gone. I'm at a loss as to how to save it.

tanman1975, I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back