Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to shorten Terminal Services logon steps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

btrotter

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2001
GB
OK gurus, like most of you have been at one time or another, I am faced with an issue of user laziness that I need to help them out with.

I run a W2k Adv Server Terminal Server, and we have around 30 users who connect in to it using the Terminal Services Advanced Client (web browser).
The way that they connect to the server is as follows:
Start Internet Explorer.
In the URL section, they input domsrvadm02, which is the server name. Then they come to the TS screen where they input the server name they want to login to, so again they type in domsrvadm02, and then the login screen comes up where they login.

I am told that most people cant remember the server name, and it is simply too many login screens.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to shorten this?
So far I am thinking of just putting a dual entry into WINS or the hosts file to shorten the server name, but they will still have the same amount of login screens.

Can someone give me some tips?
Thank you all.

BT

This doesnt work on mine. I can use and it works fine. Anything after that just brings up a "The page cannot be found" error message.

I even tried it with and without the /tsweb so if it wasnt installed in the same directory, but that didnt work either.

Thank you for your assistance.

In the web browser window used to connect to your TS enter this url -

where x.x.x.x = ip address of TS

Make this page a shortcut on the desktop and when it is double clicked it will automatically go straight to the login screen on your TS.

We have several users who connect via the internet. The VPN connection icon is on their desktops and they just double click it and it automatically authenticates thier computer onto our network (have adjusted the dialup settings so that they don't show any password screens).

Once they have authenticated they just double click the web browser shortcut icon to connect to the TS. All they have to do is enter their user name and password to get on to the TS and working.

Hope this is what you are look for..

Andy.

The lengthened URL doesn't work in SP3 I"ve found out. Sp2 works fine because it's what I used to use.

You can automate a CCM with the CNS settings. Thats my second shoice.

Not meaning to sound ignorant, but what exactly is CCM and CNS?

Thanks again....
BT

Client Connection Manager. Part of the advanced client install. Make sure you use the same one that came with the service pack.

CNS is Client Network Setting. You can export the settings to a CNS file, have them import the file and they fill in their logon and passwords. They can create a shorcut to the desktop and click THAT icon to log in.

It's a bit to setup but if they can't remember the server name, it's an easier client setup. At some point they'll have to know how to use their computer.

Thanks rrsub. I will give this a shot sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Take care...
BT

rrsub is correct. I have a folder on my desktop and each server I connect to is nothing more than an icon. I click on it, and it TS starts and asks me for a username and password and I'm in. Don't even have to put the server name in. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Uniformity is death, diversity is life."
Mikhail A. Bakunin (1814-1876); Russian writer and revolutionary.

OK, I am getting there. I downloaded the TSAC from MS's website and installed it. Then I went into Admin Tools, TS Connections, and was able to set up a new connection from there, and have an icon so that all I have to do is click on it, and it starts. Now, how do I export that icon to the desktop, or where do you create the scripts from that launch the session?

You guys are great. Thanks for coming to my rescue. It makes this taks so much easier to deal with. Even if it does spawn from lazy users.

GlenJohnson, If you connect to more tha a couple of servers, I suggest the TSMMCSETUP. It's the MMC Snap-in that I use. I have all my servers on the left pane, right-click to connect and the screen is on the right. I can flip between all the servers I am logged into.

I did that also. Thanks. Brotter, go into control panel, admin tools, and terminial servieces client maker. This will put a connection maker on 2 floppies. Pop them into someone's pc, and just follow the instructions. Super simple. Good luck. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Uniformity is death, diversity is life."
Mikhail A. Bakunin (1814-1876); Russian writer and revolutionary.

Ok, I figured out what was going on. I initially installed the TS MMC snapin, so it didnt have the connection manager. After going back to MS's website and downloading the correct client, I was able to get it setup, drop an icon on the desk, and it is good to go now. Thanks for all you guys help with this. I sincerely appreciate it.

Brian

[cheers] Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up."
Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936); English writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back