Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to setup DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctechnician

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
I'm looking for help for a project that I have for school.

This fictional setup has 4 remote locations, w/ 1 main branch being the hub.

I am to set up DHCP servers using NT, w/ each locale having it's own dchp server.

setting up dchp with a range of ip's the pool for each locale is not an issue, but what if one dhcp server goes down at one location.

What type of setup can be implemented so each of the dhcp's are interconnected, and in the event of failure at one branch, the clients could just request a dhcp from another location,s dhcp.

Any information would be appreciated.

A+,Net+

You might get better response in NT server forum - forum55

You can get around this problem by using an 80/20 split rule on your DHCP scope. By this I mean that the server on the local subnet has a scope configured for 80% of the available IP's. Then the server at the other end of the WAN link has 20% of the remote subnet's scope.

I think Micro$oft have some tech documents on it. The only thing to watch out for is if your routers support the forwarding of BOOTP (DHCP) requests. I think it's RFC1542?

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Jonesy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back