Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to setup a Network for Dentist Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

oosoceroo

MIS
Jan 15, 2004
US
I have been asked to setup internet for a Dental suite. Currently they have about 5 desktops including a laptop connecting to a Windows 2000 Domain Controller for authentication. It’s a small office and I’m sure we’ll just use a business DSL connection of some sort and use the standard modem. Does any one object to this? It’s not a necessity to be online but reliable equipment would be nice. I also want to setup a VPN so they can remote access the system from outside "securely". Not sure how their IP address are issued whether it’s dynamic or Static. If it’s Dynamic I know of DNS2GO that’ll always locate a particular machine with a permanent address. Can any one recommend any other software to do this? Also can any one recommend a VPN system? I like D-link and have been looking into the SOHO VPN Firewall/Router D-Link DFL-300 Office Firewall. Does anyone have any experience? Is it easy to setup and access from outside? Also might consider proposing wireless? I'm open to all suggestions, Thank you.

I have a few customers that are setup like you (5 to 10 local users + 1 to 2 servers + a few users remote using VPN or RDC). Some of my customers use DSL 1Mb and some other ones user ADSL 3.0 Mb... Those with DSL have dynamic IPs so I use DynDNS to have their IPs updated to a URL and those with ADSLs have fixed IPs.

As for firewalls, almost all my customers have Cisco PixFirewalls either the 501 or the 506e while either "cheaper" customers use a regular Linksys Router. The Linksys Router only allows 1 VPN connection at once therefor only one remote users can use a secured vpn connection. The Cisco PixFirewalls are much more "strong" firewalls but they do need a bit of knowledge to properly configure them. I don't know about your Dlink product but it probably does the same. Another one that a lot of people like is the SonicWall Firewall.

What you plan on doing is very doable

I am not sure about the particular Dental practice you are considering, but some of the machines used in dental offices are fairly brutal. I do not know if they operate in the 2.5 or 5 ghz. bandwidth, but before doing wireless I would certainly check.

I would have to agree with the previous reply. A cisco pix firewall 501 would be your best choice in my opinion. This will allow multiple remote vpn connections with cisco's free vpn client software or ppp using microsoft vpn. If you only have 5 or 10 inside, I would just set them up as static ip's. Once your vpn is made you will be able to connect to these ip's using one of several remote software or access all network resources. I have used d-link as a firewall router for a restaraunt point of sale terminals and seemed to work fine. I have never made a vpn connection from the outside in with dlink, however this is possible.

I have used a Linksys Router with VPN without problems as long as you enable the option to allow PPTP and IPSec Pass Through from within the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back