Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to set criteria based on latest date for group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbertram

MIS
Oct 15, 2002
US
I am working with a table that records historical transaction data for an ID. The table uses an auto number as the PK. A record is created every time a new action takes place for a particular ID.

I need to create a query to report all records or last record <= to a certain date, but not if there are any transactions after the date. If I create a query that limits the selection just to <= a date, it will output all entries eliminating the future entries.

The table layout is something like this:

Autonumber, ID, Action, Action Date

Sample data:

1, ID1, Action1, 05/12/2004
2, ID2, Action4, 03/28/2004
3, ID1, Action2, 04/18/2004
4, ID2, Action5, 06/30/2004

So if I wanted data based on a date of <= 05/20/2004, it would only return record #1 (or record #1 and #3) for ID1. It would not return any records for ID2, since there was a transaction with a date past the requested date.

Is this possible? Do I need to sort through the entire table storing a single record for the latest date in a temporary table, overwriting it if a later date is found? I think there must be a better and more efficient way to do this.

Nevermind - I figured it out.

I just created another query that grouped by ID and I set my critera to the MaxOfDate, then created and inner join between to the other query.

Sometimes I think too much into a problem and miss the easiest and should be most obvious solution.

Something like this ?
SELECT A.* FROM theTable A INNER JOIN
(SELECT ID FROM theTable GROUP BY ID
HAVING Max([Action Date])<=#05/20/2004#
) B ON A.ID=B.ID;

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back