Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to set correct username and password

Status
Not open for further replies.

linda828

Technical User
Oct 25, 2002
US
I just purchased a license for vBulletin, which runs on PHP and mysql. It's uploaded and appears to be functioning. I can't get past the first few setups screens. It's choking on the name/password I have set up in the config.php

This is what the techie at vBulletin said:

You are either not using the correct db variables in config.php, or your db user does not have permission to access the db and/or MySQL. You'll need to contact your host about this, since we do not know what the proper variables are.

I don't know my MySQL. Neither does my web host. To his knowledge, the user/pw I have set up to administer my domain is also what the default user/pw for mysql will be.

phpmyadmin is installed and I've used it to creatd the forum called for in the config.php. I clicked on the word "mysql" listed in the left column, then clicked on "user", and filled in user name and password in the default column.

That hasn't helped. Anybody have any suggestions? Anybody know where there's documentation for phpyadmin that doesn't assume knowlede of MySQL? Everything that I've found is Greek to me.

The one "gotcha" with MySQL permissions is that the credentials aren't just username and password. They are username, password, and machine from which the connection originates.

Make sure that your user has the ability to connect to your database from your web server. ______________________________________________________________________
TANSTAAFL!

Hi Linda,

phpMyadmin (I'm running 2.2.2) has a configuration file called config.inc.php, this is located in the directory where phpMyadmin is installed.

Inside this ascii file there is a list of variables set for your Mysql Server, two of the variables are used for the Mysql user and password

$cfgServers[1]['user'] =
$cfgServers[1]['password'] =

You might try using the values set in this file. John Hoffmaster (jrhoffm)

No luck with changing the config.inc.php.

How can I do this just going straight to MySQL?

Perhaps the question is, will it be harder to just go straight to MySQL to set the username/password? I'm just thinking by going through phpmyadmin I'm adding another layer of learning curve to figure that out. If I eliminate that layer, then I don't have to worry that I'm just not using phpmyadmin right.

I have Hugh Williams "Web Database Applications" on hand. I'm on page 20. Instructions for adding a user name and password are on page 157. I'll probably need to read those 137 pages for it to make sense. Does that seem the most direct route to solving this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back