Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to send My Documents to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hswihart1

Technical User
Mar 9, 2006
US
This is kind of a dumb question but I cannot seem to figure this out. I need to make it to where a user's My Documents folder is not saved on the PC but instead to their home folder on the server. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Heather

Right-click on My Documents. Change the Target Folder Location.

Just my 2¢

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

There is no choice called Find Target or any way to change the path when you right-click on the My Documents folder. There is a text box at the top that says the name of the file but it will not let me put anything with a slash in it so I know that is not where you do it. Could there be a reason why I do not have the Find Target option?

I just realized I am doing this on a Windows 2000 machine so maybe that is why it is not there. I think I will write to the Windows 2000 forum. Sorry to have wasted your time. Thank you very much for your help.

It's the same process for 2K and XP, just make sure that you create the user folders and give rights before you change the location in Properties.

There is no target option of any type. I need to figure out why there is not target option when I right click My Documents and pick Properties. I am doing it in My Computer because my boss said you do not want to do it to the shortcut.

You will see that when the My Documents icon is displayed on a users desktop it is not a "Shortcut" but a special icon, similar to IE, Recycle Bin, My Computer or Network Places.

What happens when you have My Documents icon on the Desktop and then use that?

Note items 1 & 2 below.
From linney's URL said:
Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
To change the default location of the My Documents folder, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
2. Right-click My Documents, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Target tab.
4. In the Target box, do one of the following:
• Type the path to the folder location that you want, and then click OK. For example, D:\My Stuff.

If the folder does not exist, the Create Message dialog box is displayed. Click Yes to create the folder, and then click OK.

-or-
• Click Move, click the folder in which to store your documents, and then click OK twice.

If you need to create a new folder, click Make New Folder. Type a name for the folder, and then click OK twice.
5. In the Move Documents box, click Yes to move your documents to the new location, or click No to leave your documents in the original location.

[Cheers]

There is no My Documents icon on the desktop. My boss said you are not supposed to redirect the folder using the shortcut. I see that wolluf sent something about tweaki, I will try using that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back