Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to send a message in a pop-up window to all clients 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kposter

MIS
Jun 7, 1999
US
I am trying to send a message to all clients on my network (WIN95 and NT Workstation). Net send works for the workstation clients, and WinPop-up utility works for WIN95 clients, but it can be closed by the user. What I want to do is send a message that will pop-up on the screen of any user currently logged into the network. Any ideas?

You you run a script. When users logon you could have the script pop-up a box.

Net Send--Examples<br>
<br>
To send the message "Meeting changed to 3 p.m. Same place." to the user robertf, type <br>
net send robertf Meeting changed to 3 p.m. Same place.<br>
To send a message to all users connected to the server, type <br>
net send /users This server will shut down in 5 minutes.<br>
To send a message that includes a slash mark, type <br>
net send robertf "Format your disk with FORMAT /4"<br>
More Information About Net Send<br>
Net Send--Notes<br>
Net Send

Neat! Now, how does one apply that to A <br>
Win9x, Mac Network? Does that stick the sysadmin into using a script?

For Win 9x, you will have to either run a command in your logon script to start winpopup.exe, put a policy in place to start it, or have your users put the program in their startup folders. Otherwise win9x wont see your net send messages.

SRG:

How can I send/broadcast messages for telnet clients for NT4 server? This is not a telnet server per se, but a Lawson server (unix-like service, running on 8x00 ports), and has multiple clients accross the country.

Having to notify them of the maintenance shutdowns is a real pain, since the logons are not recognized by NT as NT sessions,and no messages from NT OS are transferred to Lawson clients.

SRG:

How can I send/broadcast messages for telnet clients for NT4 server? This is not a telnet server per se, but a Lawson server (unix-like service, running on 8x00 ports), and has multiple clients accross the country.

Having to notify them of the maintenance shutdowns is a pain, since logons are not recognized by NT as &quot;real&quot; NT sessions,and no messages from NT OS are transferred to Lawson clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back