Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to retrieve network printer information

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxamis4

IS-IT--Management
Apr 12, 2006
US
Heyfolks,

I am going crazy here trying to find out how to get network printer information such as: Serial Number, Model, Manufacturer and any other useful asset information. I know this is possible since HP has an awsome online tool that retrieves this data for you. I am however making a VB app that will do this for our company. I can not find any references on what to use to retrieve this data. Any help will be helpful thank you

You need to use SNMP to collect what you're looking for ...
Everithing that HP WebJetadmin shows is collected via SNMP too. So the info is certainly there. It's just a matter of using the correct OID's. This is typically what you find in the MIB file for the device (or class of devices)
There is an SNMP forum that might contain some usefull links

CU
G.

You can use Wireshark and SNMPWalk to get the syntax for all of the packets that you need to send. SNMPWalk will walk the entire OID theoretically, giving you the correct command and associated response in the packet capture.

I believe SNMPWalk is Linux only though, so you may have to download KNOPPIX or another Live-CD to run the test.

pansophic

Guys thank you so much. this is the information i needed to learn about this stuff. I have been struggling to get something to direct me in the right way. Greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back