Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to replace Heatsink/Fan on ATI 9800XT 256MB (AGP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluetractor

Technical User
Dec 9, 2005
GB
Hey guys,

I need a bit of a heads up as my current fan on my ATI9800XT is starting to be a bit on the loud side when it starts to spin up to speed.

It lasts about 5 mins and then it finally settles down to a normal/quiet sound.

I guess this means one of the ball bearings is duff and therefore I'm looking at a new fan/heatsink combo (arctic cooler ati silencer 3/rev 2)

So..

My question is how much of a job is it to remove the old heatsink/fan, any tips on how to do it?

Many thanks,

bbt

I wouldnt. Here is what i would do and i have done this, oh, 100 times and more.
And for an example of how long it might last, well, i have a small fan on a5 1/4 ide removable case that i oiled over 2 yrs ago and all is still fine and i use it every single day about 14 hrs a day.
What you need to get is some oil, almost any type, sewing machine oil is good. Then get some graphite powder. You can get both of these things real cheap at a hardware or auto store or auto section at walmart or such store.

You peel back the label but keep it on. Then add a bit of oil, then add some graphite powder. Be careful as the powder stains. This goes right in the centre. Then use any good tape to tape the label back on and start up your pc.
It may take about 30 seconds for the oil and graphite to work and you may even have to do it a second time, but it almost always works. Trust me on this, it works and works well.
On the other hand, it the fan has been noisy for a long long time and the bearings are absolutely shot it may not help that much. However, its rare where this trick doesnt work so i would try this first and i bet it works fine.
Matter of fact, you can use the oil first if you have to go out and get the graphite powder, but the graphite powder is a must as the oil by itself wears off and you will have to re-oil again and again but with graphite its only once and you are done for a year or 2!
The graphite powder comes in a little tube. Dont get the graphite oil to replace the graphite powder. Dont buy the graphite oil as its too thin for this job.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

by the way, i know that these vid cards dont come cheap and its important to have a good fan on them. But my advice still stands, it will work. Again, unless you have been running that fan with a lot of noise for a long time, which i doubt.

bigbluetractor
I agree with garebo, the noise you are hearing for the first couple of minutes is typical of a "dry" bearing.
A couple of drops of thin oil routinely applied once every year will keep it going indefinately.
Same applies to case and CPU fans that I personally recommend are cleaned and lubricated anually at the same time as a thorough blowout!
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

thanks, paparazi.
One thing i found, though, was that i was having to re-oil the offending fan too often. However, this was mostly those small fans that come with ide removables. The oil just didnt last long. Thats when i started adding the graphite powder along with the oil. Well, that was the key to me. As i said above, i have had the same ide removable running for over 2 yrs now and no noise.
But i also noticed that plain oil does work with system fans. I just add the graphite powder in as well because i know it will work together with the oil, like an additive i guess. And i know that for sure the fan will work properly again.

And i have found that badly damaged fans wont be helped with oil, but will be helped with oil and graphite powder. Only thing is that if a fan is all that bad it should likely be replaced anyway as it could seize up no matter how much oil or graphite is in it. I havent had that happen but i am sure it will, sooner or later. And i dont want someone to think it will make any fan brand new, it wont. So if a fan is really really bad its best to just replace it. We can oil it to work for a few days until we get a new fan, though!
And tape, it should be that grey duct tape, cut thin strip to go around the fan label and hold the label on so the label holds the oil and graphite powder in so it doesnt drip onto the motherboard! That said, we should only use as little as needed, more is not always better.
We should also check to make sure the fan is on correctly too, not rubbing on the heatsink or plastic casing and screwed in tight and level, not off-balance.
I guess we could point that out as well.

Hey Guys,

Thanks loads for your replies, very helpful indeed.

Like i said the noise is almost as if a cable is being caught by the fan, but it's not in anyway harsh and the fan spins 100% fine.

Also like i said after about 5 mins it goes away totally, until the next time the PC is powered down.

So just to be clear do I actually need to remove the "ATI Sticker" on top of the fan itself. (See Below)

Thanks again!

BBT

yes, remove the sticker and oil in there. Maybe get some graphite powder during the week to do an even better job, in my opinion. Pull the Ati label back but not off, put your oil in there, put label back on and perhaps best to use a small bit of duct tape to secure around the edges and hold the label down well so oil doesnt leak out when fan should be on its side, right?

Hey garebo,

Thanks for your reply.

When i was air-dusting the fan yesterday I did try and have a sneaky-peek behind the ati sticker and have a look.

It started to tear however when I pulled a little bit, so I got scared and stopped. If i were to pull it off totally, providing I have secured the top of the fan so nothing leaks, will this be ok?

Cheers,

BBT

Sure, you can take it right off, do your oil thing and put it back. Better yet, just put some duct tape in place of the sticker. The only thing, you should keep the sticker if your card is still within warranty, you never know.
Or if you think you might sell the card in the near future.
In future, i use a small break-of knife, like an exacto knife. First i try and peel the label back with that. If that doesnt work then i cut the label a bit to get a grip on it and cut around the edges as i pull back. Sometimes i just take the label right off and put duct tape in place.
Long as there is something there to hold the oil when the fan is on its side. And you dont have to use a lot of oil either. Especially when you use graphite powder with it, the powder kind of holds the oil in place. Graphite works so well because it 1 - is very very slippery, more than oil, and 2 it coats and stays longer and better than oil.
Then why not just use graphite? You could but i find the combo is the best for longevity.
I think you are worrying too much. Go ahead, im sure you will be fine. Taking the label off never caused any damage to a fan but could have ruined the warranty is all.

Hi garebo,

Thanks again, i think you are right, I am worrying too much!

Can I use WD-40 in place of oil? or can you recommend a type of oil so I can buy some tommorrow?

Thanks,

BBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back