Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to replace Heatsink/Fan on ATI 9800XT 256MB (AGP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluetractor

Technical User
Dec 9, 2005
GB
Hey guys,

I need a bit of a heads up as my current fan on my ATI9800XT is starting to be a bit on the loud side when it starts to spin up to speed.

It lasts about 5 mins and then it finally settles down to a normal/quiet sound.

I guess this means one of the ball bearings is duff and therefore I'm looking at a new fan/heatsink combo (arctic cooler ati silencer 3/rev 2)

So..

My question is how much of a job is it to remove the old heatsink/fan, any tips on how to do it?

Many thanks,

bbt

Just fitted an Arcting Cooling NV5 on my 6800GT.

Just take your time, lay everything on newspaper, use antistatic precautions, earth yourself, don't wear man made fibe etc.
Be careful not to slip, delicate surface mounted components can be easily knocked off etc
Thoroughly clean off all the old interface material, liberally apply the Arctic Cooling paste as directed.
Don't over tighten retaining screws.
15minute job.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

First off, I am not trying to undermine paparazi's post at all. But,a fan in that condition can be repaired. All you need is some light oil, like sewing machine oil, and some graphite powder. You can get both of these items at either an auto store, hardware store, or walmart type store.
Just open the label on the fan and put some oil and then some powdered graphite in. Seal with small amount of duct tape all around the label and go.
Just be careful with graphite powder as it does stain your fingers and clothes worse than oil does.

I only mention this as an alternative and a potential cost-saver as well. The two items i mentioned are very inexpensive and you will only use a tiny bit and have the rest for your case fans, cpu fans, and any other fans down the road.
As long as the fan isnt shot, and yours doesnt seem to be shot, then my method will indeed work. I find that oil by itself doesnt seem to do as well or last anywhere near as long as the combination of the two items i mentioned. I have been doing this for years on all types of fans, works great.
With expensive graphics card fans, one has to weigh things a bit. However, by the sound of what you describe as the condition of your fan, you should be able to repair it the way i am suggesting.
And, only a suggestion, not telling you what to do.
thanks

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Dunno what it is about 9800 fans. This is the third or fourth thread I've read from a person with a problem with their 9800, and they all appear to be related to fan/cooling issues.

I solved my 9800 problems with a card cooler. It's a device that you mount in the slot next to your video card. A fan inside it sucks in air from outside the case and blows it right onto your GPU.

It's probably not as efficient as replacing the heatsink/fan combo, and certainly more expensive then relubing the fan bearings, but it's got the advantage of being quick and easy.

BaudKarma
I agree to a certain extent, the 9800/pro's cooling fan seems to be a little short lived but the XT had a completely differant design that was bigger, quieter and lasted longer.
I treat fan lubrication as a matter of routine maintenance together with blowing out dust build up.
Both need carrying out at least yearly.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back