Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to REMOVE cached USERNAME on PC for OWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

weigoldk

MIS
Jan 12, 2001
US
I have several employees accessing the same computer. They all need to use OWA to read their e-mail. The computer is on 24x7 and logged on with one username. (The individuals that check their e-mail on the PC never log into the PC.)

Since Win SP 2 (grrrr), we are unable to use Outlook with multiple profiles. We have resorted to OWA (Outlook Web Access) which is fine by me. However, when we go to our URL ( the username box is already filled in with one of the user's name. The name does not change to any other user--ever. Each user (except for the lucky one) has to delete the name and type in theirs. I have searched the registry for the string, but it is not there. I have deleted all internet temp files, cached passwords, etc. But it is stuck like glue.

We have also tried creating a shortcut which includes the user's name, but the same old username is still there (

Have you tried logging onto OWA from a different computer to verify it is something specific to this PC?

I did a quick test on a new PC (Windows XP SP 2) and the username does NOT display when I use a shortcut to
Good suggestion, Zoethecat.

However, I'm not sure where to go with it now. I can not replace the PC in question. There must be a cache, temp file or registry setting somewhere that holds the username--but where?

This could be something in Internet Explorer. What version of Internet Explorer are you using? In IE6, try turning off Auto Complete by clicking on:
Tools, Internet Options, Content, Auto Complete. Clear all selections from here
Try clearing the internet cookies and delete all offline files again.

Hope that helps.

Also, you could try using another explorer other than Internet Explorer. Try something like Netscape or Mozilla Firefox . Sometimes Internet Explorer can get buggy.

True. This is just to rule out the Internet Explorer issue. I have used OWA via Mozilla firefox and had no issues, otherwise I would not have suggested it. But i'm really just suggesting this as a last resort.

58sniper, all I can do is LOL. Of course OWA is tailored for IE :). Good point. Hopefully using Firefox won't break anything else on this XP box.

Zoethecat--good suggestions. Clearing the IE cache, temp files and turning off autocomplete did not resolve the issue.

I tried Firefox and tested it by opening and closing two different mailboxes. It worked several times without "remembering" either username. Before I went to OWA, I configured Firefox to NOT remember passwords and to clear temp files when exiting. I'll have the end users give this a trial run for a week or two. I think you've hit on a solution we can live with.

I'll keep an eye out for a solution for IE and post it back here if I find one.

weigoldk, I just ran accross the same problem on a shared laptop - went through all the same steps you did trying to find the hidden cache. Then just for kicks, I unchecked the Remember my password box and logged in as a different user. Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to find. Hope it works for you.

I also use multiple profiles with Outlook. If you want to share the details of that issue, I'd be glad to help if I can.

Not sure which 'cached passwords' you deleted, but I had a similar problem, deleting the passwords stored under IE didn't help, Windows XP also stores cached passwords inside the user account settings and with OWA as integrated as it is it may be storing it there. Idk...

Control Panel>User Accounts>Advanced>Manage Passwords

-jhaith

jhaith--thanks

I believe I deleted both the user accounts passwords and IE's but I'll double check.

Great thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back