Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to re-install DNS Client service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2005
US
Hello all,

I am new to this but I have a question. I am using a dual xeon processor dell as a workstation with Windows XP Pro. Recently some updates appear to have corrupted my DNS Client service. Is there any way to re-install just this service?

Thanks in Advance

The DNS client is part of the TCP/IP stack, I don't think you can install/reinstall it seperately.
I can't diagnose without knowing the symptoms, but a quick way to reset your TCP/IP on XP SP2 is to go to a command prompt and type in:

netsh interface ip reset temp.txt

Additionally, your Winsock catalog could be corrupt, this can often cause issues that appear to be DNS related. To reset this you can type in:

netsh winsock reset

WHAT I CAN RECOMMEND FOR YOU TO DO IN THIS CASE SINCE YOU THINK IT'S ONLY DNS CLIENT SERVICE.
CLICK START , RUN, TYPE CMD CLICK OK.

IN THE COMMAND PROMPT TYPE

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS THEN HIT ENTER
IPCONFIG /RELEASE ENTER
" " /RENEW ENTER
" " /REGISTERDNS ENTER

NOW THIS SHOULD RELEASE AND RENEW ALL OF THE DNS FOR YOU

HOPE IT HELPS.

cupid11213's suggestion hardly releases and renews the DNS client service. It clears the cache only, a cache which by default settings is active for only 30 seconds.

Two thoughts:

. First, this DNS client service only applies in Domains. It has nothing to do with the TCP/IP stack, IPCONFIG, or stand-alone or Workstation computers. Nothing.

. Second, you can force a TCP/IP rebuild. Member 'jasen' gave step #1 above. A recent Microsoft KB article that provides some diagnostic steps, and suggests a reasonable method of doing-it-yourself completely: The second half of this KB article describes how to reset the TCP/IP service stack completely. This will rebuild all TCP/IP services.

As a final note, what Microsoft Update and why do you think your DNS client service was corrupted? I really think there is a different issue than your first guess, and would like to help you with it.

If XP SP2, see my notes on using NETSH.EXE in faq779-4625

Well it has been determined that when the DNS client service is flushed, turned off, and than back on that everything works fine. The problem only happened after the last batch of Windows updates was rolled down to the PC. Thanks for all of the help so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back