Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to pull some info from other database to new one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computethis

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2001
US
I have a "Test" table that I have reworked and now need to take the live data table and update the Test table with... I have reworked the new table but need to retain some info..

Each table uses a unique Id of a "Job Number"...

I need to take the "good delivery date" info from the live table and put that info into the test table...

Can anyone help ???

Thanks!
Mitch

Hi Mitch, I would suggest to import the whole table in to the good database as a first step. From there build an update or append query to transfer or add your data. As a safety you might even make a copy of the good table and try your action query or queries there first. Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Gord,

A little twist in this issue.

My table that I want to update is called tblOrderLog and the other table that has the info is called tblDelSked....

They both have a field called DelDate. I want to use the tblDelSked to "update" the proper DelDate to the tblOrderLog table... The tblDelSked only has 250 records and the tblOrderLog has 14,000.. So I need to use the comman Primary Key called JobNumber to do this..

Does this make sense ???

Sure Mitch,
Once again, don't forget a backup of the table in the event of...

For 250 records as a one shot thing I'd do it this way
Start with a select query based off of the two tables, DelDate field from the tblDelSked, and DelDate from tblOrderLog, maybe the JobNumber from either just for fun:

"Show me all the records in tblDelSked and only those that match in tblOrderLog (joined by the JobNumber)".Go to datasheet view and check your results. If all is good you should only see your 250 records.

Copy the entire column of your tblDelSked DelDate. Select the tblOrderLog DelDate column. Paste. Hopefully it will accept it. and that's it. If it works its fun to watch and you do get the option to not paste if things don't look right. :) Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back