Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to prevent unauthorised changes to jobs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chilibaby

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US
I have a problem with unauthorized modifications being made to the backups jobs. These modifications have not only caused the jobs not to run but have caused the backups to crash. I was told to lock down the backups. Is a way for me to lock the backup jobs so that someone can only check the job status and change tapes out; but not make any modifications to the jobs?

I am running Arcserve v11.1 and other than the above problem have had no serious issues with my jobs running as they should.

I thank you in advance for any help you can give me in this matter.

Kay

ARCserve uses system security so it has to be done at a system level by restricting who has admin permissions.

Thank you, davidmichel. I am rather a newbie at storage administration, so would you be so kind as to clarify your answer somewhat?

By system level, do you mean just on my backup server or are you talking about every server I am backing up?

I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this area. I truly never thought I would ever need to know anything like this.

Kay

I have discussed this situation with my manager and have now gotten permission to check into other options for trying to discover when and/or who might be modifying the backups. I am going to search the site for some answers on how to audit my backup server.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am certainly open to any ideas.

Thank you!

Kay

What I was talking about is locking down the server so that only you and your manager have full control and the others that need access have only plain old User permissions.

Thank you. You are talking about just the backup server then. That is what I told him I wanted to do; but, he was sure I had to do this on every server.

I only installed v11.1 the end of September, so I have not had much practice or training. Everything I've learned has been from the manual or reading threads on this site. My one experience with CA Support was enough to cure me of calling them unless I absolutely cannot find an answer elsewhere!

Thank you very much for your assistance, davidmichel. It is back to the manual for me now.

Kay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back