Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to optimize UDF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredodman

Programmer
Jun 7, 2008
US
Hi there!

I have a query that uses two UDF's. When I included the first one with help of George (thank you) it slowed down my query just a little bit. Now that I tried to write my own it takes close to two minutes instead of a few seconds so I gather I didn't do such a good job. Any help is of course greatly appreciated. Here is the query:

SELECT DISTINCT
ContactExtendedProperties.ActiveStatus,
Contacts.LastName,
Contacts.FirstName,
ContactExtendedProperties.WelcomeCard,
ContactExtendedProperties.BeforePic,
ContactExtendedProperties.AfterPic,
dbo.RO_GetCommaSeparatedNeedsTable(Contacts.ContactId) AS Description,
ContactExtendedProperties.CurrentStatus,
ContactExtendedProperties.SpacesCompleted,
ContactExtendedProperties.ClientLongevity,
MaxFollowupdate.Maxdate AS DateOfFollowup,
ContactExtendedProperties.ReceivedEval,
ContactExtendedProperties.OncancellationList,
dbo.RO_GetRemainingApps(Contacts.ContactId) AS RemainingApps
FROM Contacts
INNER JOIN ContactExtendedProperties ON Contacts.ContactId = ContactExtendedProperties.ContactId
INNER JOIN ClientStatus ON Contacts.ClientStatusId = ClientStatus.StatusId
INNER JOIN (
SELECT ContactId, MAX(DateOfFollowup) AS MaxDate
FROM ContactFollowup
GROUP BY ContactId) As MaxFollowupDate ON Contacts.ContactId = MaxFollowupDate.ContactId
INNER JOIN ContactFollowup ON Contacts.ContactId = ContactFollowup.ContactId
INNER JOIN RO_Users ON Contacts.PrimaryConsultantId = RO_Users.UserId
INNER JOIN ContactToNeeds ON Contacts.ContactId = ContactToNeeds.ContactId
INNER JOIN NeedsTable ON ContactToNeeds.NeedsId = NeedsTable.NeedId
WHERE Clientstatus.StatusDesc LIKE '%Client%'

Here is the first UDF, the one that worked fine.

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.RO_GetCommaSeparatedNeedsTable
(@ContactId int)
RETURNS nvarchar(100)
AS
BEGIN
DECLARE @Result nvarchar(100)
SELECT @Result = IsNull(@Result + ', ' + Description, Description)
FROM NeedsTable
INNER JOIN ContactToNeeds ON NeedsTable.NeedId = ContactToNeeds.NeedsId
WHERE ContactToNeeds.ContactId = @ContactId
RETURN @Result
END

It stores multiple values in one cell.

The second one, which slows the query something fierce is supposed to go to a table and look how many appointments each clients are booked for in the future. Here it is

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.RO_GetRemainingApps
(@ContactId int)
RETURNS int
AS
BEGINNDeclare @Result int
DECLARE @Date datetime
SET @Date = getdate()
SELECT @Result = Count(BeginDateTime)
FROM Calendar
WHERE ContactId = @ContactId AND Begindatetime > @Date
RETURN @Result
END

I'm tickled pink that my query is returning anything at all except "syntax error" but I would also like to use it which I can't in its current state. Thanks for looking and once again, any help is appreciated.

Fred

That's a pretty simple UDF. So, you don't necessarily need a UDF. In addition to your existing joins, try using a derived table to see if it goes faster. For example:

Code:
SELECT ...
INNER JOIN 
  (SELECT ContactID, COUNT(BeginDateTime) AS Ct
   FROM Calendar
   WHERE BeginDateDate > GETDATE()
   GROUP BY ContactID) b
ON YourTable.ContactID = b.ContactID

River guy suggested what I was going to suggest. Derived tables are often much faster than user-defined functions.

Code:
WHERE Clientstatus.StatusDesc LIKE '%Client%'

This can be a real killer as well because without the first character, it will not use indexes to filter. Is there a way to redesign so that you don't have to serch this way? It would be better to have a column that you can search on without the wildcard search. Check out the execution plan and see if it is doing a table scan. Especially think about changing your structure if this a common way to find the information you want from that column. Better to separate it out on insert than continually have to search with a wildcard as the first character.

"NOTHING is more important in a database than integrity." ESquared

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I tried the derived table and it executed much faster but the problem is that the people that does not have any future appointments scheduled does not show up. The reason I created the UDF was to still include people who had previous appointments. I'd like these people to still be in the query with a 0 in the column for how many future appointments customers have. Any thoughts?

Also, I'll look into the wildcard issue. I'm very new to this (just a few weeks with SQL Manager) so don't laugh when I'll tell you that I have no clue on how to check the execution plan. I'd like to learn though so if you have a minute to ellaborate I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again guys.

Fred

Use a LEFT OUTER JOIN instead of your INNER JOIN for the derived table, and you case use ISNULL on the column you are getting from it if needed.

Have to buy some basic books on how to join tables I think. Took you all of what, ten seconds to figure that one out Riverguy? It works like a charm and I'm down from two minutes to ten seconds for my query to execute. I'm very grateful you should know, but a little emberrased too. Thank you so much for taking the time to help a new guy out.

Fred

You're welcome. If you're looking for a beginner's sql book, I usually recommend SQL: A Beginner's Guide by Forrest Houlette.

I'll look for it for sure. Thank you once again!

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back