Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED TO OPEN OLD DATABASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue1914mab

Technical User
Oct 17, 2005
US
I created a database last year that I saved on disc. Security was set up for multiple users. I now need that db design for creation of a new db. However, when I try to open it, it get an error message saying "You do not the the necessary permission to open db". I have looked all over the net, but to no avail. HELP!

Did you save the mdw file or keep the document that is created when you add security that Microsoft strongly advises you to keep? If not, I do not believe anyone here can help, because of the stated policies of Tek-Tips.

I have the exact same problem (i.e. won't let me in due to permissions 3033 error) and depsite reading numerous articles I can't fathom out what the problem is.
I am logging in as Admin this was checked in the immediate window using ? CurrentUser, I then checked it was picking up the correct Workgroup file which is Secured.mdw which is correct. I have the snapshot file which gives all the details of passwords, users, pids, group etc.

I have tried creating a new workgroup file and joining it and then using a command line prompt to force the database to use it (/wkgrp) switch.
I have now tried changing the admin logon Password but it tells me that the old password (Which I got from the snapshot file is incorrect). Does this mean something has got corrupted somewhere or that the password has been changed since the snapshot file?
I also have the .bak version of the databse which I can get into but according to the user this is an older version of the database.
Has anyone got any ideas?

Hi,

Access, by default has a common workgroup file that is the same for all users.

If you change the passwords, then you can just replace with a new copy.

If you add users to the default, then you would need to recreate them, but if you do not enter exactly as the last time, they will be different.

Now, If you created a new/different workgroup file, then you must locate that older workgroup file, join that workgroup, then open the older version of the mdb.

Note: If you do join the older workgroup, make sure to rejoin the default workgroup when you are done, or all of your new databases (mdb)s will inherit the security of the older workgroup file.

Whatever workgroup you have joined, controls security and permissions of mdb that you create and objects that you create inside the db, such as tables, forms and queries are from the workgroup currently in use. This seems to be for Access 97 to Access 2003. I believe Access 2007 is different.

Hope This Helps,
Hap...

Access Developer [pc] Access based Accounting Solutions - with free source code
Access Consultants forum

To clarify - Access 2007 supports workgroup (mdw) files when using mdb or mde format files from earlier versions of Access.
When it is using the new .accdb format file, security is not supported at all.

John

Thanks for the replies, I've got a restore of the mdw and mdb files and it all works as it should now, so I think the old one must have got corrupted somehow.

They get backed up onto tape off our server overnight, so I just took a copy of the database a few days before it went strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back