Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to Move Macola Progression 7.6 to new server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2005
US
We have been limping along on a 9 year old Windows 2000 server waiting Macola to get Globe and running without much success.
Progression is on SQL 2000 Sp4 and is version 7.6.300 GR.
Our server is out of extended warranty in 6 days and has been acting up.

I have a much newer server with Windows 2003 on it. I want to move the installation from the 2000 server to the 2003 server. I do not have any installation media.
Can I take the old server off-line, rename the 2003 server to the same name of the 2000 server,install the same version of SQL on the 2003 server, backup and restore the databases, copy the macsql folder from the old server and share appropriately, and be in business?

I have had success doing this with other programs before, but Macola products have always been a bit of a problem child even working with support.

Thanks!

You'll need the installation media. The install disk installs several hundred files outside of the macsql folder and registers them. What did you do with your install CDs and why are you working with a 6 year old version of Macola?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

Hi dgillz - I appreciate the quick response.

The IT Manager was able to find the disks so I guess we do have them. As for why it is so old....I don't know. They never wanted to upgrade for reasons that were not explained. I think a lot of it was custom reports and the PSI integration. When we installed the SQL 2000 SP4 that forced them to update to the current version and fix some things which caused things to work better so I think that's when the move to Globe started. It's hard to believe that a year after installing Globe Macola still doesn't have the reports right. Sigh.
I mostly handle server infrastructure, Exchange, backups, firewall, and and SQL stuff while the Manager has handled the Macola stuff.
I did find a posting from 2005 (thread639-1108890) that looks promising, however barring a clear cut migration guide or a consultant to do it for us I am thinking I will just image the 2000 over with Storagecraft or acronis and then do an in-place upgrade to 2003.

I've always thought that you were supposed to do the install from a workstation, which would mean that it wasn't able to install anything into the registry?

Can you not just transfer the macsql folder to the new server?

You install the workstation from the server share. I have been told that Macola server install writes registry files and such. There is another post on the forum with two pages of directions.

I did figure it out, though. I did a backup and then hardware independent restore from the 2000 server to newer hardware. Then I did an in-place upgrade of 2000 to 2003. That was time consuming, but I ended up with a 2003 server on warranteed hardware that works great. I have even had feedback that reports run faster.
Now that we are on 2003 I can back it up with a BDR so we don't any more downtime.

Thanks Dgillz for your helpful comemnt.

Did you find other directions besides the one you linked to in your first post? I'm in the process of moving our database and app to a new server, which I've done in the past but it was years ago. Trying to plan the best approach.

Nope. Sorry.Nothing as good as the article linked.
I just imaged the system over to the new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back