Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to move a data disk from one server to another..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drill

Technical User
May 2, 2001
GB
Have a Red HAt 9 server with a data disk that i need to put into another server and preserve the data on it. Problem is we have no way of backing up the data from this disk. Can anyone offer some advice on how i go about physicall adding the disk from server a to server b whilst still keeping the data?

MAny Thanks

He said "physically move" data disk from one machine to another.

At this point, it seems like a trick question. Drill, what part of this "physically move" are you having problems with; getting the drive hooked up into your new box or how do you mount the data disk once you hooked it up?

HI,

I will be fine with the 'physical' connection of the disk it just what would i expect to have to do on 'server b' to let it see the disk and mount the filesystems. I am a AIX/SOlaris/Hp guy and havent really played with Linux so i just need some tips/advice. Normally i would be looking at adding the disk to a volume group or just adding the filesystems to /etc/fstab.
Any help would be really appreciated, and thanks for the replies so far.

Hii ,
Y dont u try nfs . Using NFS u can mount the data on server A on server B or the other way round . In order to set un NFS u need to first start nsf using
#/etc/init.d/nfs start
#/etc/init.d/nfslock start
then edit the /etc/exports file and put in the name of directory u wish to mont on the other server e.g put in a line like tis if u want to share the root directory .
/ x.x.x.x(rw)
where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the other server u wish to mount this directory .

once u r finished with editing the exports file u need to run the following command as root
# exportfs -a -v
this will export all the directory

Now on the client server issue the following commant to mount the Drive
# mount x.x.x.y:/ /mnt/any dir u create

where x.x.x.y is the ip address of the server where u exported the directory .
u also need to create a directory where u want to mount .This can also be put in fstab .

Regards

Anup

The next thing you'll want to do is to add your 'new' HDD's filesystem to the /etc/fstab file. No messy/confusing lv/vg stuff to mess around with. If you are using SCSI, then your filesystem would start with sd[x][y] (sda1, sdb3, etc). For ATA you would have hd[x][y] (hda1 for primary master/primary partition, hdb2 for primary slave/second partition, etc). You'll most likely see the device assignment during bootup. If not, just type "dmesg" to view your bootup log.

If you're running LVM you only need to do 'lvmscan' and 'vgchange -a y' or something like that.

Cheers

Just a thank you to all that replied.
Got this working by adding the disk to server b, checking drive name in dmesg and then updating the fstab on server b.

Many thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back