Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to measure the noise of PC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
Can anyone tell me how to measure the noise from the PC? I am interessted to know if there is an application that can do the measurement in dB.

You would hav eto go out nad buy a proper decibel meter from your local electronics store. Not a cheap thing to ge though.

or if you want a really cheap solution, use a microphone, making sure each time you measure, the mike is at exactly the same place relative to the computer, and that all the settings are exactly the same...

then compare the sound played back against some other sound played back at different decibels till they sound about the same loudness...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

A number of the nokia mobile phones have sound meters built in now. Whilst they're only good up to 114db this is far in excess of the noise your pc is making (hopefully!)

I'm into pro audio too and we've calibrated 2 different phones and found them to be within 1db accurate (and 3db is considered to be the smallest increase in noise the human ear can pick up - although this is subjective)

Radio Shack or similar (Maplins in UK) should do a noise meter for around £100 or less which should be accurate to 127db (aircraft taking off) These don't go high enough for us :D

I have a Nokia 6230, do you think its possible to measure the sound with it? If so can you tell me how to do it?

I've got the 5140 which has a sound meter application built in. Some of the 6xxx series phones have them also. Try reading the manual. If it can it'll be in there

Go to radio shack & pick up a sound meter, they are about 50 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back