Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to map My Documents folder to server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hswihart1

Technical User
Mar 9, 2006
US
This is kind of a dumb question but I cannot seem to figure this out. I need to make it to where a user's My Documents folder is not saved on the PC but instead to their home folder on the server. Can anyone tell me how to do this? I know that I don't do what you do in XP, which is right-click the My Documents folder and pick Properties then Find Target because there is nothing about Target there.

Heather

You can do it at least 2 ways.

1. From the server (assuming its really is 2k or 2k3 server) - in Active Directory you can set a policy on an OU that redirects My Documents to Home folder (Its under Windows Settings in User Configuration).

or

2. On the PC, install and run tweakui (Under the My Computer tab you can change location of special folders - including My Documents.

Hey it worked! When I installed Tweak and then right clicked on the My Documents folder the Target option was there! Could you tell my what option in Tweak actually turned that on because I don't see it?

Heather

Heather - its just a registry setting - you could find it if you search with regedit (I probably knew once upon a time, but...). The fact 2k doesn't give option and XP does will be down to the interface (ie, in 2k they didn't build an interface to that registry entry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back