Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

need to lock down software on a standalone w2k pro pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdgordon

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2002
US
I have a standalone w2k pro pc, it will be set up as a demo pc in a lobby. I konw how to lock out all web sites except one i want. However, i want to hide all icons except internet explorer and generally keep this "demo" from doing anything but launching internet explorer. I realize if i was on a network with w2k server i could set up a policy that applied to that user adn hide icons, and start button, etc. However how can i do that on a stand alone pc. How can i have the pc admin log in with everything visible adn have the "demo user" log in and see nothing but ie icon. I don't see how local policies can do that.
Do i need to just invest in something like fortress or is there something like that but freeware.
thanks

There's a program called TweakUI that will allow you to hide the icons. Here's the link:

Just follow the instructions to install it...the program is pretty simple to understand. Enkrypted
A+
Let others know how much help they are by marking the helpful posts.

About the part where you want to lock all sites except one, just go in internet explorer options, Content, Content advisor and you'll be able to do what you need in 15 seconds. Make the site your home page, or add a shortcut to that site to your startup folder and voilà.
All left to do is to set up security to restrict the user to allow only internet explorer to be ran.

Thanks, i can lock down ie, but with being a stand alone pc there isn't really any way to lock down what the user can do with policy withou locking myself out is there,besides couldn't the user just launch the local policy edit and change the settings. Also tweakui is fine, but it doesn' prevent key stroke or starmenu access. IS there something else out there or something i'm missing.

Thanks in advance for help

You should try a program called Fortres 101 which allows you to select any icon you want to lock and the user will not be able to even double-click the icon without first using CTRL-L, which they won't figure out, and then if they do they are prompted for a password.

fortress 101, is it freeware or purchase?

You can download a demo which will work for awhile, but the full blown version is for purchase. You can also download full version off of limewire:)

Just go to to download.

It is a peer to peer file sharing program. I get alot of software from them as well as music. Just go to and download the basic edition. The only difference between the basic and the paid edition is the banner at the bottom. Everything else is the same.

Why not just make a new user, and set permissions? I worked for a company that had 2300+ seats, and all of them were Win2KPro (I was just a keyboard jockey). The desktops had no icons, there were only the apps in the program folders that we needed to use, but I've seen the IT monkies (of course logged in as Administrator) and they had everything.

So just add a a user, set the group, and set up the apps that you want to allow. The tools for doing what you need are built into the OS already. As far as absolute security, I don't know...but keep in mind, it IS a Micro$oft product, so there will always be security issues. Explore your options, and see what werks best...good luck! :) Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

I would set the group permissions, but this is a stand alone w2k pro pc so i think i'm rather limited, so i think if i get fortress, that should work thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back