Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to link two Lans in differentes buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSOFT

Technical User
Nov 18, 2001
US
Hi, i need to link two LANs in two diifferents buildings, the distance is aprox 200 Mts,, anda have line of sight, but i evaluate any products like:

1) Cisco CISCO AIR-BR1410A-A-K9-N (802.11a Bridge) = u$s 4700
2) Micronet Access Pint, can work asi bridge= u$s160 (
Annyone knows this AP Micronet? why that cost?

I can use a AP as a Bridge for mi application? have 15 Pcs accessing from the remote LAN

thanks!!

. 802.11g is usually cheaper than 802.11a
. Most companies are less expensive than Cisco

in this application i can use an acces point? o need to use a bridge? what the difference?

You likely need a point-to-point wireless bridge. Many products sold as access points support this role, some do not.
You also likely need something more than the standard antennas that are sold with these devices.
Finally, you will need a switch at the remote end to make the physical connection to your workstations.

If you Google "wireless bridge kit" you will see many different vendor offerings.

I have done this before. You can do it using the AP as a Bridge. Unless you get a lower end AP they will be capable of doing this.

If you will be placing these units outside you will absolutelly need something more rugged and durable. We use Intermec equipment they are almost as pricy as the Cisco and are made for tough environments.
You will also need something a little different from the antennas you find with off-the-shelf products. you don't need to propagate the signal to a wide area, instead you need a strong signal in a narrow area.

You will need to evaluate what kind of bandwith you need, 802.11b or g might not be sufficient for your needs.

The way I understand it the difference between a Bridge and an AP is only it's use.
APs connect wireless end-devices to the network
An AP used as a Bridge connects 2 AP to a segments of a wired network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back