Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEED to learn the BCM50e ASAP!! where do i start? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

benton202

Technical User
Feb 10, 2011
LC
hello good day all, i am new to the BCM50 and have just been asked to configure and install it, only, i don't know where to start. i was given a configuration sheet where i am suppose to simply copy and paste the entire configuration but that does not help in showing me what each option means and does. i desperately need help.
i would like to know if there is a document out there with easy to understand instructions that explain the options in the element manager and points out possible errors that i may get and steps i can take to deal with them. any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Besides this thread, i can be reached via benton.bowers@ibsstlucia.com or rockonbenton@hotmail.com.

Use the manual or go on training course. If u've worked on Norstar before u'll do ok.

there are task based guides on the Avaya site....i will try to find the link

cant locate them just now,,,, so i have uploaded them to my site

i have assumed you have a release 2 box ( just a guess)

download the BCM 50 2 Task Based Guides and install them on your Laptop/PC

post as many questions as you wish, there are many techs here that will help

thanx alot for the replies, and am downloading the BCM50_20_TBG.zip right now, really big though 109 mb. right now i have had 2 days just playing around with the bcm50 and have not gotten a phone to register or show in the active sets section yet. i am testing it with a nortel ip phone 1220 , i plug the phone into the lan port. no matter how many different configuration technics i try, it says server unreachable, and it goes to old settings. i have alredy tried a static ip address and and i have inputted the bcm50e ip address as the gateway but no luck. is there any thng i must set up on the bcm50 element manager that will allow me to register the phone? i have already enabled registration ( or autoregistation i thnk its caled)
also, when a phone is pluged into the bcm50e, is it suppose to automaticaly go to active sets section in element manager ??

and i have search all over the element manager but i have not found a way to manually add DNs, it seems there are just a list of DNS that are already there and i can edit them but i cannot add more. is this how its suppose to be?

you will need the keycodes for the IP sets to work

dont do much with IP myself but i think active sets will only see digital & analog sets... could be wrong there tho !!! the digital & analog sets use the amphenol connection

install the guides and have a read...

on a bcm 50 you need a key code for everything to work. ip, digital,analog sets etc

is that so norstarboy125, thanx for the tip. i thnk i'll write that down. and Gibblett, i have the bcm50e, release 3 i thnk. not 2. is there a big difference in their task based guild?

i will upload the release 3 guides so u have the right one...

ok so far the task based guild is very helpful and now am no novice to the bcm50. but now i have another problem, i have a nortel ip phone 1220 which was on an SCS call server. it worked jus fine there, but i want to set it up on the bcm50 just for testing, from wat i see, under keycodes IP Client try-buy has expired so mayb that is the course, but when i try to set up the phone it says server unreachable. i know it has somethng to do with the fact that the fone was on the SCS but i dnt thnk there is a way to completely reset the phone, all i can do is input the S1 ip, S2 ip, ports, DHCP and some other stuff. so my question is : how do i set up an ip phone on a different type of pbx and remove all the firmware from the previous one?

You cannot just take a 1220 set from an SCS server and connect it to a BCM. A 1220 IP set provisioned for SCS will be loaded with SIP, the SCS understands SIP only. A 1220 IP set provisioned for BCM will be loaded with Unistim, from a phone perspective the BCM understands Unistim only (from the trunk perspective it will understand SIP or H323). I once converted a unistim phone (i.e. for BCM) to SIP (i.e. for SCS) however apparently this broke a license agreement.

You will need a "BCM IP phone" for a BCM, plus a valid IP set license on the BCM. Otherwise you might need to look at some other method of getting a phone (such as digital or analogue) however on the main unit of a BCM, you will need valid licenses for them and obviously configure the wiring correctly.

thanks for the info pkellow. i remember though, about 6 mnths ago that same phone was on a bcm50 system, it was working just fine, then it was then placed on the SCS. but there was not much that had to be done. i cannot remember the exact steps becouse it was not me that set up the whole thng, i just had the oppertunity to set up the phone again after it was already set up on the scs just for testing. i just dnt know y now it would give so much troubles to go back on the bcm50. i was told that it will not see the server because the IP client try and buy is expired.

but that is not my issue right now. i wuld like to know the following in the simplest way possible:
what are target lines, why are they important?

are voip trunks the same as SIP trunks? whats the difference as it pertains to setting them up on the bcm50?

and one more thng:
what are loops and do you need loops for IP phones?

Q: What are target lines, why are they important?
A: In the case of a PRI (or BRI line where it is set to auto answer), the central office will normally allocate you a DDI range. You configure a target line with a public received number, dependent on the public received length.
eg main number 01628 432000
ddi range 432000-432100
public received = 4
you configure target line (any, however it might be good to somehow match the t/l number with the received number) with public received 2001, assign it to extension 3500. Incoming call routes for 01628 432001 to extension 3500.
Configure a private received value and target line for incoming call across voip trunk.
You can configure public & private received values on one target line.

Q:are voip trunks the same as SIP trunks? whats the difference as it pertains to setting them up on the bcm50?
A: voip trunk licensing includes both H323 & SIP trunks. i.e. you can configure IP trunks for either H323 or SIP. SIP trunk licensing includes SIP trunks only, not H323. i.e. you can configure SIP trunks only.

Q: what are loops and do you need loops for IP phones?
A: Consider a BRI with 4 physical lines/connections. Each connection comprises of one loop of two lines each (if 'T' (trunk) type as oppossed to 'S' station where you can connect ISDN phones for example). If BRI is the only ISDN connection you have, check the loops are configured with "primary external" clocking. You don't need them for IP phones, except to say if they dial out for example across a BRI line which is part of a loop.

Refer to docs for more details and probably a much better explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back