Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to learn SQL Server. Any suggestion on how to start appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

goblin1

Technical User
Nov 24, 2003
US
Hello,

Until now, I have been setting up databases for my company using MS Outlook. We are now looking at a software package that uses SQL Server as their base. We will have capability to modify any part of this software to meet our specific needs.

The problem is, I don't know anything about SQL. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get started to learn to use SQL?

Thank you,
Mark

Ugh. This happened to me as well. My first suggestion to everyone new to SQL administration is the SQL Server 2000 DBA Survival Guide (SAM's, dunno the date). It's great.

If you are looking at the programming side, there are dozens (maybe hundreds) of forums where you can download code.

Make sure your business understands the risk of managing/operating a database server without someone who is specifically trained. Everything's great until something goes wrong and the business looks around for someone to blame. It's not an argument against SQL (or any other product): it's just common sense from a business perspective.

It may be worthwhile hiring a consultant to come in, spec out your requirements and do the initial set up. Just make sure you hover over him/her while he/she is doing it.

Best of luck,

hmscott

Hello again,

Yes, I will be looking at the programming side of things as well.

Again...any books or classes or internet classes that are recommended are appreciated.

EXPERIENCE IS THE BEST FORM OF LEARNING :)

Seriousely, Set up a test server running SQL and build yourself a test database, its not as hard or daunting as it seems at first. Then you can play to your hearts content knowing that you cant break anything important.

I too am trying to find information on how to learn SQL Server. I have seen the Sam's guide but I would also like to see a web site that might be able to answer some general SQL Server questions.

breaksr,

Looks like you found it (?!?).

Seriously, it seems that most questions receive attention here (or you can go to the programming forum for developer-oriented questions). I think the only courtesy most people would ask is that you look in Books on Line first before asking a question on line here.

doowles2

>Seriousely, Set up a test server running SQL and build yourself a test database.

Why did you bother answering?

The question was how to, you have not given any helpfull information on 'HOW TO'

My suggestion is to find a local tech or IT school and take a few "SQL Server 101 classes. Do not take a Theory class, but a "hands on" or "now let me do it" class. I do not want to be an infomercial but ITT Tech, New Horizon or ECPI can fill the bill. If taking this type of class is not an option, then the next best thing is to create a Development database as has been suggested. If you are looking for a few titles of books to get you going, then "Learn SQL in 24 hours", SAM's Publication or "SQL Server 2000 Administrator Manual", Microsoft Press are two.

Good Luck.

Then whats the purpose of this forum? If setting up the server is as easy as everyone suggests, then why doesnt anyone give some suggestions? Ive pulled my hair out reading the Microsoft Installation instructions and trying to get an instance of the server running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back