Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to insert text into a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan010101

Technical User
Jan 24, 2001
US
I am trying to automate (somewhat) the process of posting my company's catalog to Amazon (we have about 20,000 items). Through a couple ways I get all the catalog into a table in Access. In the table there is a field for an image file name. What I need to do is turn all the file names into URLs so "image.jpg" becomes " and then the table will be exported to an Excel spreadsheet.

I've never really used Access for all of it's features, usually just use it for a web database (so just the tables). I know VB somewhat (I know ASP fairly well) but I don't really know how to go about actually making programming work in Access.

If anyone could shed some light on how I would accomplish this, I'd REALLY appriciate it.

thanks
Ryan

Will the directory where the images are stored always be the same path? land of milk and Honey

Yes, all images are stored in the same directory so the path will not change.

thanks

well if one of the ways that you get the data into a the table is a query you can specify this as an expresssion:

FullPath:("c:\etc.." & fldImagePath)
land of milk and Honey

Well here's exactly what I'm doing.

Running a report in our Unix-based system which results in a tab delimited file of our catalog.

I then import that file into a table in Access.

I then need to do a replace for the catagory field and make all "ZD"s into "D"s and all "ZV"s into "V"s.

We don't upload our entire catalog to Amazon only stuff we have in stock and only items in catagory D or V (dvd or vhs). This is the query I run which produces a new table:

SELECT * INTO [query-results112001]
FROM [Amazon-temp]
WHERE ((([Amazon-temp].catagory1)='D' Or ([Amazon-temp].catagory1)='V') AND (([Amazon-temp].quantity)>0));

The only thing left to do is add the image URLs to the new table and export to Excel.

Now in your example FullPath:("c:\etc.." & fldImagePath) if "image-url" is the name of the field would it be:

FullPath:("c:\etc.." & fldimage-url)

And where does this expression go? I'm a bit lost when it comes to actually programming in Access (I think i need a book).

thanks

well if you wrote that query without any assitance from the query builder (the graphical interface) then you are familiar with it...

while in design view give a new field an alias (FullPath:)

anything after the : is an expression... in this case the expression is "c:\etc..." & fldImagePath

that will populate whatever table you are filling witha new field call FullPath land of milk and Honey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back