Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to increase mail box limit to 10 gig 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAIG2432

Technical User
Jan 23, 2007
GB
I have a SBS2003 server. I need to increase the size of the default mail box to 10 gig for 1 or more users. I have followed the instruction from microsoft and have ammended the registery. As the link bolow asked.

The event log has an event in it 1216 telling me i have increase the limit.

But when i go to mail box store limits the max i can type in is 2097151

I have user how have full mail box and cannot receive any mail

Can anyone please help

That document doesn't have anything to do with mailbox limits. The 2097151 (roughly 2GB) value is the largest number you can enter, and that cannot be changed to allow larger numbers.

Additionally, the largest size mailbox you can import/export using Exmerge is 2GB. You'd limit your backup/recovery options if you could specify mailboxes larger than that.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

58sniper is right; but just because you can't set a larger number on the storage limits setting doesn't mean that the mailbox can't be bigger than that. Take the storage limit numbers off and the mailbox can be as big as you want - theoretically a store can consist of a single mailbox, although mailboxes of that size are madness to deal with...

Big mailboxes are easy to deal with! You just need to think about restore times and seriously don't use cached mode.

Thanks for the input. I managed to find out how to increase the size using the document from Microsoft in the original post. I also used ADIEDIT to set the mail box sizes manual. 2 users now have 5 gig mail boxes and a 3rd user has 8 Gig. They have lots of video footage been Emailed, this is the reason for such big mail box.

Thnaks Again

Exchange isn't the best solution for file storage, though. They take more space in an Exchange message than if they detached it and saved it to the file system. Additionally, restoring a single message just to get at an attached file is more complex than just restoring a file system file.

I will stand corrected on not being able to increase the limit past the 2GB limit. Having read your reply, I did some research and found which walks you through it. A star for you, Craig!

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP

58Sniper.

Well after posting hear for nearly a yeay I got my first star. Sir thank you very much. A good start to the weekend.

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back