Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Need to find duplicates in Excel Spreadsheet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanaPach

MIS
Mar 17, 2004
US
I have a spreadsheet in Excel that contains company names and addresses. I need to find the companies that have the same address. I will also need to delete the company names if they are duplicated. Please help me with VB or please give some direction. I greatly appreciate anyones help. Thank you.

Take a look at advanced filter (unique)

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

You could easily do if you pull it into access and set queries to list the unique values and then compare the query to the orignal table of address via a second query.

If I was limited to excel, I would either mess around with the advanced filter or do a series of subtotals and scan down the columns for totals that are greater than one in fields that I suspect have dups.

You could also sort by the column that you think has the dups and then us the exact function to compare a cell the cell below it. Copy it all the way down the spreadsheet and then look for anything that reads yes!

if one of these things might work, reply and Ill post it in more detail.

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back